Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympiacos Away

+14
Hisham El Mawan
kique.canto
Jason Morrison
Chris Chan
vyom.chaudhary
Mohamed Samir
Vanig Bostanian
Michael Foster
Steve Dawson
Mike York
Meshaal
ralph avedikian
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Jenks1981
18 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Olympiacos Away Empty Olympiacos Away

Post by Jenks1981 Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:00 pm

Have you seen the squad thats travelled?

Its appallingly bad and im very worried.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Olympiacos Away Empty Re: Olympiacos Away

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Worried about what? It's a 'we win, great, we lose, who cares?' kind of game as far as I'm concerned.

The only disappointing thing for me is Eisfeld's absence.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:11 pm

After a poor run another loss isnt exactly what the club or the players need for confidence going forward. Thats why I care.

No Miquel or Eisfeld or Gnabry, all injured?

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:24 pm

Miquel and Gnabry are injured, don't know about Eisfeld.

Poor squad yeah, but I prefer to have this squad and lose than selecting first teamers at any cost. I think we might see:

szcz
jenk - squid/angha - tv - meade
Coq - Ramsey
Ox - Rosicky - Arsha
Chamakh

Our midfield 5 'should' be good and dominate but I don't know what to expect from this team. I hope Arshavin plays well and forces himself into Wenger's plans, it's a shame how he isn't playing anymore.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:31 pm

The only plus is Rosicky.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:26 am

Jenks1981 wrote:The only plus is Rosicky.

I just hope he can stay fit.

He was quite good last season and I'm really looking forward to him making a similar contribution this season as well.

I think he will bring out the best in Cazorla - both in terms of giving him a rest when needed and someone at a very high technical level to play with / off.

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:31 am

It'd be nice to have a bit more depth at the squad so we can rest first teamers without bringing in loads of youth. But I do agree with the resting of the first teamers. The league takes priority over this game. Wenger is one of those situations where whatever he did here would get moaned at. If we took a full squad it'd be "why didn't he rest Cazorla and others" and if he took a weaker squad it'll be "he has no ambition, thanks Wenger".

From the squad he took he can still put out a decent team whilst resting key players for the league. Have a feeling it will be...

Szczesney
Jenkinson - Squid - TV - Meade
Le Coq - Ramsey
Ox - Rosicky - Arsh
Gervinho

Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Dawson Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:14 am

I'm hoping Akpom gets some time off the bench. Been to the Reserve games a fair bit so far this season and he looks a decent young striker, am interested to see how he'd do in the first team.

Steve Dawson
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:03 am

The way I see this game.....firstly this bould having a dig at the players I think its true..regardless of what was said Wenger in my eyes as made himself look a bit stupid if it is true by trying to cover it up...there is no harm in a reality check for the players...I know wenger says 'we have unity and strength' and I belive its why its been called a load of media rubbish..he just don't want to cause more grief at a time when the team needs to be pulling together and to be honest....sugar coating a turd is not going to wash....

Brings me on to the match tonight....mixed about the idea of taking a rest with the players,sure they are tired...but is it trully the response to them actually being tired or is it more cod shite.....I mean ok we are through....and its almost guaranteed that we won't top the group...but should we not at least be sending out a signal we are going to go for it?!?
Sounds about the same thing we have had to put up with for a few years now...picking teams that simply put..me,you,the next and the bloke down the pub know are going to get beat....been no end of games where wengers tactics have backfired....

This is a bit of early new and squad heading out for the game....

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has opted to rest several first-team regulars for Tuesday's final Champions League Group B match at Olympiakos.

With the Gunners already into the knockout stage, Theo Walcott and Lukas Podolski stayed behind through injury.

Jack Wilshere, Santi Cazorla, Mikel Arteta and Per Mertesacker were rested.

Youngsters Zak Ansah, Sead Hajrovic, Elton Monteiro, Chuba Akpom and James Shea are all in contention to make their senior debuts.

"Some players needed a rest because they were on the fringe of injury," said Wenger, whose side lost to Swansea on Saturday.

"Some are injured. When I count the injured players I speak about Podolski, Walcott. We needed to rest Wilshere, 100%. Cazorla, Arteta and Mertesacker played many recently and have been rested."

Arsenal qualified for the last 16 thanks to a 2-0 victory over Montpellier and Schalke's 1-0 win against Olympiakos.

The Gunners are a point behind Schalke going into the last round of matches, with the German club travelling to Montpellier.

"Our one luxury is that we can do it [rest players], but the one necessity is to win the game tomorrow night," said Wenger.

"I try to find the right balance between resting some playing and having a competitive team. I'm convinced Montpellier will make a result against Schalke - they are highly motivated to do it.

"If we win I'm convinced we will finish top of the group, but we know Olympiakos is a difficult place and we need to play at a very good level to do it."

Arsenal Squad: Szczesny, Vermaelen, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey, Squillaci, Coquelin, Arshavin, Jenkinson, Gervinho, Chamakh, Angha, Ansah, Hajrovic, Meade, Monteiro, Shea, Akpom.

Now this may be a good little excursion for those who won't see much champions league experience come their way regarding the fringe players and the new kids...so in one way good on em and good luck.....

but who brought the camera for the sights...and who brought the game boots?.

I just don't see a win result here prob a 2-2...

Either way..give it a shot....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:06 am

It's much better to see a team of youngsters, fringes, and those who need game time play this game. We know what happened the last time we took a first teamer to Olympiakos when we didn't really have to.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:07 am

Alex Hadjicharalampous wrote:Worried about what? It's a 'we win, great, we lose, who cares?' kind of game as far as I'm concerned.

The only disappointing thing for me is Eisfeld's absence.

I understand where your coming from with this.......

But....as its been said 'who cares' is not really the signal that should be sent out....regardless of going through..

It should be....

'We care and will go on fighting'
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:11 am

Vanig Bostanian wrote:It's much better to see a team of youngsters, fringes, and those who need game time play this game. We know what happened the last time we took a first teamer to Olympiakos when we didn't really have to.

No,I agree with you to an extent.......just right at this time its not personally the signal I would be sending out..

Good luck to them...hope they pull it off...might give the boys some breathing space....

Then again.......
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohamed Samir Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:24 am

To be fair, this time there is no big difference between finishing 1st and 2nd. Hopefully Rosicky and Arshavin will have a good game.
Mohamed Samir
Mohamed Samir
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:45 am

One slightly interesting thing I see today.....

Wallcott and sagna both left out of the arsenal 2013 calendar.....

Hmmmmmm....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:56 am

Sounds about right. They may leave, the captain is bound to as they leave every season so next year will see Jenko at right back and the Ox right wing, until they become good ofcourse, then they will be off as well...

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:58 am

Jenks1981 wrote:Sounds about right. They may leave, the captain is bound to as they leave every season so next year will see Jenko at right back and the Ox right wing, until they become good ofcourse, then they will be off as well...

Hahaha....

So true..... Crying or Very sad
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:03 am

i'd love to see a 4-4-2 tonight

-------RAMSEY-COQUELIN--------
CHAMBO----------------GERVINHO

-------CHAMAKH-AKPOM----------

Would love to see 2 players through the middle, a more direct style. Ah, can dream...

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:10 am

Jenks1981 wrote:i'd love to see a 4-4-2 tonight

-------RAMSEY-COQUELIN--------
CHAMBO----------------GERVINHO

-------CHAMAKH-AKPOM----------

Would love to see 2 players through the middle, a more direct style. Ah, can dream...

Well the way the team is holding shape at the moment prob end up with a 2-7-2 lol.....

One good thing about the game least I don't have to dig around for a streaming link.....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:12 am

I have a really bad feeling about tonight, I think we could lose by 2 or 3, I hope im wrong.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by vyom.chaudhary Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:58 am

Arshavin didn't even make this team..

vyom.chaudhary
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:02 am

Having left a number of first-team regulars at home, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger makes seven changes from Saturday's defeat by Swansea. Jernade Meade, 20, starts his first game for the club at left-back as Marouane Chamakh is supported by Gervinho and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in attack. A host of potential debutants are on the bench. Kostas Mitroglou scored against Arsenal at Emirates Stadium but he is replaced by Rafik Djebbour, with Paulo Machado also likely to pose a threat.

Sebastien Squillaci makes his first start for Arsenal since the FA Cup game against Leeds on 9 January. The last time he featured for the Gunners -against Sunderland in the same competition on 18 February - he came off the bench on 10 minutes and was substituted after 53.

It's a big night for Luton-born Jernade Meade, who played his first game for Arsenal at the age of 11 and came on as a substitute at the Capital One Cup win at Reading earlier this season. The surprise omission from Arsene Wenger's team is Andrey Arshavin - the out-of-favour Russia international can only manage a place on the bench

Well....don't really know what to say.....is it worth watching at all....

Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:04 am

Smart move first or second we have zero chance of the cl. Remember rm are in the 2nd pot. Give some players a rest and its a bonus if we win fully expect to lose with that squad but don't really care. Much bigger problems at the club than this meaningless game

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:09 am

Well meaningless or not.....its going to be a bad match with Sebastian in defence...

That's what scares me the most...we rest a few players and this is what is left....this is where a meaningless game should be totally meaningful as it displays what we have in reserve....

We might not stand a chance in the cl,fa,Coc or premier league with this as back up....and combine it with the fact the way the team is playing it should mean everything regardless of roping the group or not.....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:15 am

I wish Wenger started Chamakh tonight, and infact gave him a run of games, despite how shit he's been for two years now I think he still has something good to offer us given a run in the team, atleast he'd be better than gervinho in the CF role. I really really don't like Gervinho in the CF role, I mean I really really really don't, it pisses me off so much. He's probably the player I like least right now cause he just typifies everything wrong with arsenal...
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 am

Jason Morrison wrote:I wish Wenger started Chamakh tonight, and infact gave him a run of games, despite how shit he's been for two years now I think he still has something good to offer us given a run in the team, atleast he'd be better than gervinho in the CF role. I really really don't like Gervinho in the CF role, I mean I really really really don't, it pisses me off so much. He's probably the player I like least right now cause he just typifies everything wrong with arsenal...

Chamakh is playing up front man!

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum