Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

January transfers

+32
Jenson Pais
Vijay Saibola
Sami Rockfeller
Joey Schwab
dbruce5
Liam Bermingham
kdunn
Alex Hadjicharalampous
deepgrg
David Hung
jingus
chris eades
John Foxall
Michael Schatzky
Mario
vyom.chaudhary
Chris Chan
Darcy Gorman
Jason Morrison
Michael Foster
rschalala
Marko Maksimović
Jonathan Prendergast
Vanig Bostanian
Jenks1981
ralph avedikian
Subrat Koirala
Mike York
Meshaal
pwoodman1
Hisham El Mawan
Mohamed Samir
36 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

January transfers - Page 12 Empty Re: January transfers

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:28 pm

Chris Chan wrote:It's the same bloody excuses every year. In January 'it's not a good time to buy' crap, then why not buy in the summer? Whether or not RVP was in this side, it would still have been desperately short. Then after we sold RVP and Song, we are then an additional two players short as well as losing our best player. Now we are in a situation of 6 games (well now 5) in 18 days (now 17) and even the papers have given up on making stories about who we are going to sign.

This squad will not finish top 4, I can't see who we are realistically going to sign who can add the quality we need to finish in the top 4. It's not that the talent isn't there in the market, it is just Wenger is looking for Mario Gotze at Michu prices

We did sign Podolski, Giroud and Cazorla in the summer.

I know we need a couple of quality players, but your comments seem to ignore it.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Hisham El Mawan Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:46 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:
Chris Chan wrote:It's the same bloody excuses every year. In January 'it's not a good time to buy' crap, then why not buy in the summer? Whether or not RVP was in this side, it would still have been desperately short. Then after we sold RVP and Song, we are then an additional two players short as well as losing our best player. Now we are in a situation of 6 games (well now 5) in 18 days (now 17) and even the papers have given up on making stories about who we are going to sign.

This squad will not finish top 4, I can't see who we are realistically going to sign who can add the quality we need to finish in the top 4. It's not that the talent isn't there in the market, it is just Wenger is looking for Mario Gotze at Michu prices

I know we need a couple of quality players, but your comments seem to ignore it.

All three of which were great signings, in my opinion. All good players with great potential, almost at the peaks of their careers. What I'm wondering is, why hasn't Wenger been able to find even one player like that in the last 15 days?

Hisham El Mawan
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Whilst I like those signings, they were all done early. It was pretty clear that RVP was moving on and I can't imagine Song was sold without some time being taken. We needed a couple of additions AFTER the three that we signed, for me Podolski is replacing Nasri, Cazorla replaces Cesc and Giroud was more a necessity because Chamakh is shit. We are always just replacing at the moment when we have needed to add quality to the squad for a while and thus look short every season.

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:19 pm

The only rumor going around currently is about us wanting to activate Diame's release clause. Has he been any good this season?
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Sami Rockfeller wrote:The only rumor going around currently is about us wanting to activate Diame's release clause. Has he been any good this season?
Is he the guy from West Ham who scored that brilliant goal against us?

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:06 pm

Vanig Bostanian wrote:
Sami Rockfeller wrote:The only rumor going around currently is about us wanting to activate Diame's release clause. Has he been any good this season?
Is he the guy from West Ham who scored that brilliant goal against us?

Yeah, he's the one. He seems a player very similar to Tiote to me so wouldn't be very upset if we did go and sign him.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:21 pm

The thing is we've had more than the 31 days of January to find players. We've had since the summer and we've seen with Ba and Sturridge that you can sort transfers out early and get them done for the start of the month.

Do our scouts only work during the transfer windows and did they throw away all their reports from players they looked at this summer? So there should be no excuse for being unable to find players. It's obviously a whole lot harder to conduct business now but that's what the summer was for but once again we made a huge mess of that so there's no one to blame but ourselves.

Wenger even said towards the end of the summer window that,

"We are working very, very hard. We have resources available so if it is not happening now it will happen in December."

... clearly not. And even if we do manage to find someone in the last couple of weeks, we need a lot more than just 1 player. Again, Wenger admitted in the summer that we were in for Sahin and were looking at a defender whilst Mirallas said he had talks with us before joining Everton. And that's before we even consider our lack of strikers!

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:21 pm

No he's not like Tiote, Diame is more like Diaby, good attacker, strong runner and powerful on the ball, not a full defensive mid. He has been excellent though everytime I've seen him play for West Ham, he was subbed into the 2nd half of chelsea west ham when they were 1-0 down and completely changed the game single handedly and they won 3-1. Was just 1 game but thats just an example of what he can do from the bench... Last I remember he got injured, would love him over though...
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:14 am

I would take Diame, last I heard he was back on the subs bench for West Ham so he must be close to match fitness again?
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:34 am

I would take him at the drop of a hat.....problem is would Wenger...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:16 am

I like who we signed, but you hit the nail on the head when you say we needed more. IMO Podolski and Cazorla are replacing Nasri and Cesc, Giroud was needed because Chamakh and Park are shit. We are at least a year behind with these signings. After our purchases, we still had plenty of time and we still had a squad that was short. Yes there is an issue that we have some utter garbage taking up big wages, but we have a relative windfall next summer and some of the big contracts are coming to an end. Therefore we had the perfect opportunity (market was relatively well priced as well) to sign the additional 2 players to take us forward. Then we lost RVP and Song and that meant we now needed at least an additional 2 players including an absolute worldie to replace RVP. Instead we did nothing and we find ourselves in this situation and desperately short of quality right throughout the squad. So now we are in the winter transfer window and I will revert to what Mario has said because explains it perfectly. WE have 5 games in 15 odd days and no reinforcements. Even if we sign players now, our season could be over by then, it is all too little too late.

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pwoodman1 Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:08 am

pwoodman1
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:14 am

pwoodman1 wrote:This is probably my favourite nonsense story of the window so far Very Happy

http://www.fanatix.com/news/arsenal-to-make-sensational-bid-to-bring-back-former-gunners-striker/104840/

Hahahah.....honestly no thanks lol
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:04 am

Wenger delivers the news Arsenal fans have been waiting for... I'm ready to spend big now the stadium is paid off

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says the club are ready to 'spend big' again.

The Gunners slumped to a 2-0 home defeat by Manchester City on Sunday which saw them lose further ground on the top four of the Barclays Premier League.

Wenger insists Arsenal are in the market to bolster their squad during the January transfer window but will only do so if they can find the right quality.

The Gunners have been linked with a string of players across Europe, with Lyon playmaker Yoann Gourcuff and West Ham midfielder Mohamed Diame the latest rumoured to be on Wenger's radar.

But he is also keen to have a core of players who are already at the club - like Barcelona - with a new contract for Theo Walcott expected to be pushed through shortly.

With Arsenal set to see new commercial deals kick in following their £390million move to the Emirates Stadium and with plenty of cash in reserve - resources which were further boosted by last summer's £24m sale of captain Robin van Persie to Manchester United - Wenger insists he will be able to invest heavily in the playing staff.

'My plan is to keep all of the players we have and then to add maybe, if possible, two new players to the squad. We will spend big (again) because we had restricted finances because we had built the stadium and had to pay that back,' Wenger said in an interview with Al Jazeera Sport recorded before the City defeat and broadcast on talkSPORT this morning.

'You look at any club who has done that, and they have gone down (in performance).

'We stayed at the top level, yes without winning the Premier League, but we were always at the top level.

'Now we have come out in a much stronger position financially again, so we can spend.

'But our way is a bit like Barcelona as well, to produce the core of the team from inside and add from outside the players who give really a plus.'

Wenger accepts Arsenal will always be an easy target for those who claim the board put the balance sheet ahead of success on the pitch.

'The biggest challenge so far is to convince people we have a good team, that we have good quality and that we lead the club in the right way, because many people doubt that,' the Frenchman continued.

'I am convinced this team has a fantastic mentality, fantastic quality and with the right level of confidence, if we can create the momentum, we can be a positive surprise until the end of the season.'

Wenger may have transformed Arsenal's fortunes since taking over at Highbury in September 1996, but he accepts his time will soon 'be up' as the club must one day look for new leadership

'It is (time up), because I am 63 years old and will not work at 100. That, though, is not the most important, what is important is that when you are somewhere, you give your best,' said Wenger, whose side host Swansea in their FA Cup third-round replay tomorrow night, with Jack Wilshere and Santi Cazorla set to feature.

'How long will I stay? I have a contract until 2014, and I always respected my contracts.

'It is important is that the club goes the right direction - we have a very young team who have fantastic qualities and (it is important) that I help them to get their qualities transformed into positive results.

'Let's not forget that last year we finished third (in the Premier League), as long as that is seen as a disaster, it is not too bad for the future of the club.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2262830/Arsene-Wenger-Arsenal-ready-spend-big-transfer-window-paying-Emirates-Stadium.html
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:40 am

Mario Leontiou wrote:The thing is we've had more than the 31 days of January to find players. We've had since the summer and we've seen with Ba and Sturridge that you can sort transfers out early and get them done for the start of the month.

Do our scouts only work during the transfer windows and did they throw away all their reports from players they looked at this summer? So there should be no excuse for being unable to find players. It's obviously a whole lot harder to conduct business now but that's what the summer was for but once again we made a huge mess of that so there's no one to blame but ourselves.

Wenger even said towards the end of the summer window that,

"We are working very, very hard. We have resources available so if it is not happening now it will happen in December."

... clearly not. And even if we do manage to find someone in the last couple of weeks, we need a lot more than just 1 player. Again, Wenger admitted in the summer that we were in for Sahin and were looking at a defender whilst Mirallas said he had talks with us before joining Everton. And that's before we even consider our lack of strikers!

Selling clubs play a role too. They may be holding out for other clubs to bid and get higher prices. Just because Arsenal may know who they want, doesn't mean they can always make the selling club act quickly.

For Ba and Wellbeck, both buying clubs paid a high price, and selling clubs knew that it as unlikely other better offers would come in.

Remember we have to ask the clubs. And they can say no or delay. We can't go direct to agents or players.

I also think it is good that Wenger keeps potential signings close to his chest. Remember how much we hated Barcelona players talking about Cesc every week?
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Come on then arsen...money where ya mouth is.....let's see it.....

I would be stunned if we sign anybody..still even after this cannot see it happening..

Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Selling clubs play a role too. They may be holding out for other clubs to bid and get higher prices. Just because Arsenal may know who they want, doesn't mean they can always make the selling club act quickly.

For Ba and Wellbeck, both buying clubs paid a high price, and selling clubs knew that it as unlikely other better offers would come in.

Remember we have to ask the clubs. And they can say no or delay. We can't go direct to agents or players.

I also think it is good that Wenger keeps potential signings close to his chest. Remember how much we hated Barcelona players talking about Cesc every week?

Not saying it's easy or as straightforward as it is on Football Manager, but we are in real need of reinforcements and have been since this summer/every season. And we're not poor. We can't hope to find clauses in everyone's contract or some sort of favourable circumstance that makes it easy for us (Giroud had a clause, Malaga needed quick cash to pay off debts, Cologne got relegated) and sometimes you have to pay more to get the player.

What is value? If reports are to be believed, Theo Walcott is to sign a 25 million pound contract extension. Theo bloody Walcott. If we're throwing cash around like that it's because the market is no longer what it once was/needs must so you either have to hope you find gems at great prices or you have to pay more. Our signings this summer were good value which I'm happy about and if you look around the league there are good, established players that have gone for good prices (Dembele, Lloris, Vertonghen) so it can happen but our recent transfer dealings have been a lot more hit and miss than they used to be and quite often you get what you pay for. We've been replacing our best players with players that cost half as much as they were sold for. Not that transfer fees tell the whole story, but...

But I go back to what I said earlier in that this should have been done in the summer and not now and we would have had a lot more time and better bargaining power than we do in January but that is always the case. And sometimes by trying to save money we end up panicking and having to pay more in fees/wages e.g. Santos and Park or it costs us in terms of league position/cup runs. Thing is, I don't believe that throwing money around at anyone is necessarily the way to fix problems. Look at QPR. But it's clearly evident that we are becoming weaker, season upon season, and we do need a better squad. And that's before we look at Wenger's position.

(Also, Ba had a release clause.)

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Arseblog summed up our activity in the transfer market quite well:
"It just seems like there’s always some reason why we can’t do business but none of them make a great deal of sense."
"We can't find players in January", "we're waiting for Walcott", "we can't find players at the right value", "we have an exceptional squad that can't make it to top four", all shit excuses for not doing anything.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Mario Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:54 pm

The Walcott reason is the most annoying. Like he's our Messi or something and everything must be put on hold for him.

Mario
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:17 pm

Mario Leontiou wrote:The Walcott reason is the most annoying. Like he's our Messi or something and everything must be put on hold for him.

Except he is missing 90 odd goals lol.........

I don't think I have herd so much rubbish over this Theo deal.....they say they are waiting...but waiting for what exactly...for him to sign? What's the point we need reinforcing and we have to wait to see what Theo wants!?!?

What a load of bollocks.....you don't hear man u,Chelsea,man city anyone for that matter waiting on a player to sign before sorting out anything.....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:12 pm

Wait, How can Theo have anything to do with us not signing anyone? Are everyone at the club that are involved in signing players like sitting in a boardroom everyday with Theo looking at him hoping he signs, then night comes, he doesn't sign and everyone goes home then all is repeated in follow up days??
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Remy confirmed for QPR by Twitchy by the way, m'villa to follow soon according to him as well... Ol' twitch back to his wheel'n and deal'n best...
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Have the club really blamed the Walcott situation for lack of transfers this window? Anyone have a link?
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:46 am

Two good signings by Twitchy. I thought Remy was on his way to Newcastle, the Geordies must be pissed
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next