Which would you prefer (strikers)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which would you prefer (strikers)

Post by Kevin C.A. on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:50 am

If you believe the rumour mills, we are in for another striker once the transfer window opens. I was thinking a bit about this and the following are realistically available. Which would you rather have
1) Llorente
2) Soldado
3) Jovetic
4) Huntelaar

Kevin C.A.
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which would you prefer (strikers)

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:56 pm

Llorente

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:11 pm

Llorente

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:03 pm

Llorente and Giroud are similar I think. Soldado is pretty inconsistent and doubt he'll leave spain, so it leaves Huntelaar and Jovetic. I don't watch Seria A and the Bundesliga so I can't say I know their qualities very well, so it depends on what we need more. I only know that Huntelaar is more of a finisher and Jovetic is more of an all round attacking player who can cause problems.

I go for Huntelaar.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:47 pm

I don't know too much about them all, but not convinced on any of them none the less.

I like Higuain, but obviously very very tough deal to do.

Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin C.A. on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:40 am

I agree that Llorente is similar to Giroud. I caught a few Italian league highlights (hardly a real examination of the players) and really like Jovetic but really wish we'd invest a bit more and get a higher quality striker. Higuain would be great and clearly Falcao is an impossibility. Realistically I think we get Huntelaar. He doesn't seem to particularly like RVP so will feel like he has something to prove, which would be great for us.

Kevin C.A.
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:25 am

personally if we could get huntelaar on the cheep and i might add show him something tonight in our performance snap him up knocking on 30 it will be a small term problem solved....

the board just have to get the idea that a striker who will cost a few more pennies than we want to pay could prove a huge bonus...with every announcement of major amounts of profit being made a once in a while whilst off loading the fringe players these kind of signings can be made...i fully understand the model in the way we are run..but sometimes a splash has to be made...not on many but one one....

falcao would be an amazing coup...wont happen Llorente would be a good buy in my opinion amazing work rate up front....

Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Cavani for me. But never will happen.

Llorente. Similar to Giroud he may be, but at least it means the team won't have to change shape and tactics whenever Giroud is injured. An able and worthy backup, it would allow rotation as well.

That said, a finisher like Huntelaar may aslo be very useful in this team.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:12 pm

I don't understand why people see Huntelaar as not good enough. He has an amazing goal scoring record pretty much everywhere except for Italy where he's scored 8 goals in 30 games and I'm not too sure how many of those 30 games are starts.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:15 pm

Zaid Derweesh wrote:Llorente. Similar to Giroud he may be, but at least it means the team won't have to change shape and tactics whenever Giroud is injured. An able and worthy backup, it would allow rotation as well.

Your point about being able to rotate without changing tactics etc.. is a good one, but it has a bad side. It won't allow us to have 2 different sets of strikers, hence no plan 'B' (not that we have one anyway,but still). That's why I think one of Huntelaar or Jovetiv would be a better option, someone different that Giroud.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:22 pm

Different but not totally different which is the case when Gervinho plays.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm coming around to the Huntelaar idea..

Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meshaal on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:57 pm

Marco Reus!

Meshaal
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravneet Singh on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:58 pm

Our game is suited to strikers who like to attack space behind defenders, have pace and trickery to beat a man (some dutch cunt comes to mind)..Strikers with good heading abilities generally struggle in our team due to our style of playing along the ground and having shit crossing ability.

Would take Cavani in a heartbeat but as Zaid said never going to happen.....Moreover I don't think we are going to sign anyone in Jan.

Ravneet Singh
Reserves

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:54 pm

Did anyone see Mirallas play yesterday? He ran Liverpool ragged. It's too bad he felt he would get more game time at Everton, I think he severely underestimated his ability and overestimated our depth when it comes to strikers.

Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kdunn on Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:00 am

Alex Hadjicharalampous wrote:Did anyone see Mirallas play yesterday? He ran Liverpool ragged. It's too bad he felt he would get more game time at Everton, I think he severely underestimated his ability and overestimated our depth when it comes to strikers.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who felt like we missed out. Also Adrian Lopez is our prime target this Janurary

kdunn
Reserves

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samritpal Singh on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:50 am

Llorente didn't start last night for Bilbao. Think his days are numbered.

Jovetic, as good a player as he is, his injury record is terrible. Scored a beauty against Lazio last night though. EDIT : Sorry, it was Adem Ljajić who scored that goal.

Soldado and Huntelaar are impossible. Need to splash cash to get them.

Only realistic one is Llorente and since Arteta and Cazorla are in our team, might as well ask them for some help to lure him over. And apparently he's in his last year of contract so might be easier to get him in January.

Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin C.A. on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:52 am

Hunterlaar is at the end of his contract so no splashing needed Sam. Forgot to include Lewandowski, although he is probably not a realistic target

Kevin C.A.
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:29 pm

Not too long ago what's his name refused to sign a contract with Dortmund. So there ARE possibilities to sign good strikers in January or even at the end of the season. No reason to go "right player at the right price" shit.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 pm

Yeah I also read something about Huntelaar being available for dirt cheap as his contract is running down. Him or Llorente would be very nice.

Mike York
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:38 pm

Chamahk is back!

(kidding)

Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Schatzky on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:51 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:Chamahk is back!

(kidding)
At the very least, if/when he leaves it will be with slightly fonder memories!
I only came in at the 60th minute last night, ie in time for our comeback, so I have no idea how crap he was before that.
But I think it proves that Chamakh does have some talent and if we were to play a different style or formation, 4-4-2 instead of 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 etc, he could be of use to us in certain games. The ones where less skill is needed.
Still would have preferred Bendtner over Chamakh though. I know Bendtner would never have displaced RVP for central striker, but why play him on the wing? He was never going to be effective there.
Both Bendtner and Chamakh are on the mediocre side of things, talent-wise, but imo, Bendtner is still young and has a better upside. Unfortunately just like Robin ,we were not good enough for him and he did not want to stay. Sob.
Wait, I can actually see it now, instead of Llorente etc, we're just going to recall SuperNick from Juventus. He's not getting any gametime there anyway....

Michael Schatzky
Matchday Bench

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by James Lock on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:51 am

Would any of them work well as a lone striker? That's the question...
Giroud and Chamakh are both good strikers otherwise they wouldn't be here... same as Arshavin. Problem is they don't suit our style of play at the moment.
Would any of the others fit into that style of play and be able to terrorise 2 or 3 defenders in our system?
Watching his movement, I think only Falcao would be one of the only ones capable. But like that's going to happen.

James Lock
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:07 pm

Van Persie, I heard he's quite good and his style of play suits us well. Oh wait...
Seriously though, what more could we ask of Giroud? He scored 2 goals, defended set pieces, won headers from goal kicks, and at times our play was a lot of "hoof it up to Giroud" and you could see what confidence is doing to him, that turn away from the defender and the shot after it was a sign of him playing with confidence and being able to do what he thinks he can do. But we need another striker, either back up to him or someone better even, but before all of this, some defensive shape and some urgency going forward.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin C.A. on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:56 am

Cavani would be amazing too but out of our price range

Kevin C.A.
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down