Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Nerd Herd - Tech Support

+6
Dan Hakim
Samritpal Singh
Michael Foster
Sue Lee
Durrell
Chris Chan
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Nerd Herd - Tech Support - Page 2 Empty Re: The Nerd Herd - Tech Support

Post by Durrell Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:38 am

MarkoMaksimovic wrote:Does anyone know how to use SNS-HDR for editting photos? It doesn't seem to be running on my computer. And I'm running Windows 7 64 bit pro, i5 processor, 4gb ram, another 4 on the way... In essence my system specs are much better than the recommended ones but I don't get the interface the help and support page says i should, instead I'm getting a commandprompt window... any ideas anyone?

it's supposed to be cmd, the GUI is an add on that has to be unzipped to the installation folder: http://w29.wrzuta.pl/plik/29ZKgHNicjR/sns-hdr_lite_gui

Durrell
Durrell
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:07 am

Sue Lee wrote:Durrell so can I delete anything or will that affect my iTunes? Sorry if I'm being a bit dim I dont really understand this stuff, I just wish I could stick it all on the external hard drive and updated my iPod/iPhone from there and free up the laptop some more!!

Transfer all your itunes files into your external then the next time you open itunes it'll ask to search for the destination of the files, direct it to your new files location and should update the library back to how it was.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Lee Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:01 am

Ok I'll give it try, thanks for the advice Smile
Sue Lee
Sue Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Hakim Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:21 pm

Sue, what ended up happening with your iPhone?
Dan Hakim
Dan Hakim
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Lee Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:31 pm

i had this text that came through and found an old text in that folder about setting up email on the phone so its said text suspend to stop this and that seemed to do the trick!!
Sue Lee
Sue Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:27 am

Durrell wrote:
MarkoMaksimovic wrote:Does anyone know how to use SNS-HDR for editting photos? It doesn't seem to be running on my computer. And I'm running Windows 7 64 bit pro, i5 processor, 4gb ram, another 4 on the way... In essence my system specs are much better than the recommended ones but I don't get the interface the help and support page says i should, instead I'm getting a commandprompt window... any ideas anyone?

it's supposed to be cmd, the GUI is an add on that has to be unzipped to the installation folder: http://w29.wrzuta.pl/plik/29ZKgHNicjR/sns-hdr_lite_gui

Durrell you beauty!! Thanks man! Thanks a lot!!!!
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:57 am

Right new question for ya guys from the pc retard yeeeaaaa lol

I reinstalled the windows software on keeping my photos,data etc....now it's all gone,any way of getting it back? A program to download or something?
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue Lee Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:16 am

Durrell wrote:
Sue Lee wrote:i have virtually no memory left on my laptop and i have no idea how to fee some up, i've transferred all my photos to an external hard drive but i think its itunes that is messing things up
when i upload things to itunes are the only stored there or elsewhere too as i think if that's the case they are poss taking up all my memory

i've tried using the external hard drive for itunes but can't seem to get it to completely transfer
any ideas??

In My Music folder. The path is C:\users\<username\My Music\
(where <username> is whatever your windows account is called)
Also download and run CCleaner, should clear up a lot as well.

Also, when we say memory, it will be normally taken to mean RAM. A low memory problem will normally get this advice: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Preventing-low-memory-problems

Thanks for the ccleaner tip managed to obtain a couple of GB's back, I've located the iTunes folder in the music folder and have dragged it over to copy onto the external hard drive my only query is can I now delete it from the laptop??? I'm scared!!!
Sue Lee
Sue Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:46 am

First empty your itunes library Sue, then select the folder on your external as your source folder for music. Then it's safe to delete the music in your itunes folder...
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Bermingham Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Anyone know much about the new Intel socket 2011 CPUs?

Thinking of upgrading my pc soon and was wondering what the advantages of them are over the socket 1155 i7.
Liam Bermingham
Liam Bermingham
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Durrell Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:50 am

Liam Bermingham wrote:Anyone know much about the new Intel socket 2011 CPUs?

Thinking of upgrading my pc soon and was wondering what the advantages of them are over the socket 1155 i7.

Apparently, the motherboards will support upto 128GB of RAM, dependent on the cpu used, which will have the capacity of more than 8 cores.
Durrell
Durrell
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Hey again all...

Right this summer i intend on upgrading my pc,it's a Phillips

Manufacturer Philips Model Name HEPC 7511 Dimensions ( H x W x D) 784.86 x 1 163.32 x 309.88 Hard drive Capacity 400GB Optical drive DVD+/-RW Graphics hardware 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8500 Graphics Monitor You haveto checkwith thedealer Memory Installed RAM: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor speed 2.4 Ghz Audio Sound card integrated Sound Output Operating system MS Windows VistaHome Premium

I want a good processor,graphics card,motherboard
I mainly use the pc for some games,photos,downloading movies,but noticed lately the picture quality is lacking compared to a friend of mins pc...I would like to go along with blueray rw as well to burn stuff to disk and so on...

Any recommendations on where to start? If any more specs are needed I can post when I get home tonight...

Thanks guys!!!
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Durrell Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:10 am

Michael Foster wrote:Hey again all...

Right this summer i intend on upgrading my pc,it's a Phillips

Manufacturer Philips Model Name HEPC 7511 Dimensions ( H x W x D) 784.86 x 1 163.32 x 309.88 Hard drive Capacity 400GB Optical drive DVD+/-RW Graphics hardware 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8500 Graphics Monitor You haveto checkwith thedealer Memory Installed RAM: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor speed 2.4 Ghz Audio Sound card integrated Sound Output Operating system MS Windows VistaHome Premium

I want a good processor,graphics card,motherboard
I mainly use the pc for some games,photos,downloading movies,but noticed lately the picture quality is lacking compared to a friend of mins pc...I would like to go along with blueray rw as well to burn stuff to disk and so on...

Any recommendations on where to start? If any more specs are needed I can post when I get home tonight...

Thanks guys!!!

At least an i5 cpu. The motherboard should some expansion room should you want to upgrade the cpu/gpu in the future.
Depending on what your budget is, will depend on the graphics card you can get. If you don't play very graphically intense games, like your Football Managers of the world, you could make do with the Intel HD 3000 integrated chip (although obviously can't upgrade, and it struggles with new, high end games).
Do you mean rewriteable blurays, or a bluray drive with cd/dvd RW functions? There isn't that much need for a BD-RW at the moment, and playing commercial blurays on a bluray drive on your computer is a fucking pain in the arse because you have to decrypt the video before playing it through media player classic (which is the only freeware software that will play decrypted bluray video properly without lag or stuttering).
Make sure you have a monitor with HDMI input, and that your computer has HDMI output, it will make a massive difference to the image quality you receive, even at the same resolutions (you can use an HD tv if you don't have a monitor).

Also, a minimum of 8GB RAM is a must, and an SSD would be a nice extra as the read/write times are much improved over a normal HDD. They are massively expensive for what they are though
Durrell
Durrell
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:45 am

Spot on help as always fella.....

Well the info on picture lag was exactly what I was getting I have an absolute spanking full HD all singing all dancing monitor so knew it was not that,not really into playing high end games I use the xbox for that..all be it the pc games look better...

I want to have hdmi output from the pc so I could if wanted to link it to my series 7 samsung
The main things I would like to start on would be the motherboard and CPU as the ones I have our well out of date...and the motherboard has quite poor reviews and is quite limited to its upgrades aparently...

I guess the main reasons I want the upgrades is..well its needed lol and I like to take photos wherever I go I watch films off torrent sites quite regular also I like using CAD software to design things like xbox cases and so on (it's a hobby of mine i customize,resprays and so on)
Also projects for around the house usually are designed on the pc before I build...and hopefully during the summer I plan to build a CNC machine...

Price is not to much of a problem to be honest...the way I see it if it works well it's worth the price... Smile

Any good sites you know of for parts and so on?

Thanks D big help!
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Bermingham Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:47 am

If you're not limited on budget and do a lot of CAD and photoshop work I'd fork out the extra cash for an i7. Only real difference between this and the i5 is that it has 6 cores instead of 4 and it utilising hyperthreading making cpu intensive programs, run quicker. i5s are awesome too (i plan on getting one very soon). Gaming wise there's next to no difference between the i5 ad i7.

As durrell said 8Gb is a must. No need to fork out the extra for ddr3 1866mhz. Go for ddr 1600mhz. cheaper and practically same performance.

Motherboard. Go for a z68. Gigabyte do a board that is very highly rated for as little as £80!

Last edited by Liam Bermingham on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : being a spazz)
Liam Bermingham
Liam Bermingham
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:48 pm

Hmmm another possibility to look at i like the sound of the SSD prices in all fairness are not too bad either...as i said before any good sites worth checking out? I only know ebuyer Smile
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Bermingham Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Liam Bermingham
Liam Bermingham
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:13 pm

aria.co.uk

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:50 am

STATIC IP address vs DYNAMIC IP address, which one helps for quick downloads, if it makes any difference at all?
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Durrell Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:37 pm

Subrat007 wrote:STATIC IP address vs DYNAMIC IP address, which one helps for quick downloads, if it makes any difference at all?

Static, as you can forward all the ports through your firewall. Depending on your internet connection though, that might not make a difference. For me I still get 2mb/s download without any forwarding
Durrell
Durrell
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:16 am

Durrell wrote:
Subrat007 wrote:STATIC IP address vs DYNAMIC IP address, which one helps for quick downloads, if it makes any difference at all?

Static, as you can forward all the ports through your firewall. Depending on your internet connection though, that might not make a difference. For me I still get 2mb/s download without any forwarding
Thanks! But I guess I should've mentioned I've disabled my router's firewall. Does that alter your answer?
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Durrell Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:32 am

Subrat007 wrote:Thanks! But I guess I should've mentioned I've disabled my router's firewall. Does that alter your answer?

You shouldn't do that (unless you've DMZed), as it makes everyone else using the router vulnerable
Durrell
Durrell
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:50 am

Durrell wrote:
Subrat007 wrote:Thanks! But I guess I should've mentioned I've disabled my router's firewall. Does that alter your answer?

You shouldn't do that (unless you've DMZed), as it makes everyone else using the router vulnerable
I've got 3 computers working on the router and I have Avast Web, P2P shield running on them all. Im not sure if its DMZed, but doesnt DMZ need enabling the firewall?
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Durrell Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:06 pm

Subrat007 wrote:
Durrell wrote:

I've got 3 computers working on the router and I have Avast Web, P2P shield running on them all. Im not sure if its DMZed, but doesnt DMZ need enabling the firewall?

DMZ will only disable the firewall for a specific IP on your network, so the others are not affected.
Durrell
Durrell
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:25 am

Durrell wrote:
Subrat007 wrote:
Durrell wrote:

DMZ will only disable the firewall for a specific IP on your network, so the others are not affected.
nice. Sounds like its just the thing I was looking for!
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next