Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olivier Giroud

+37
dbruce5
Adriel Williams
ralph avedikian
James Lock
Mike York
marco.batra
Greg Waters
nick t
vyom.chaudhary
Steve Dawson
kdunn
Marko Maksimović
janelle.noel
Dan Hakim
Darcy Gorman
Yash
Jason Morrison
Samritpal Singh
Jenson Pais
Chris Chan
DaveToffy
Joey Schwab
Mario
Wesley Wang
dbetts87
fkamil
Meshaal
John Foxall
Michael Foster
Ashraf Peeran
Jenks1981
Jonathan Prendergast
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Zaid Derweesh
Vanig Bostanian
Sami Rockfeller
Hisham El Mawan
41 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Olivier Giroud - Page 6 Empty Re: Olivier Giroud

Post by Michael Foster Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Samritpal Singh wrote:
Joey Schwab wrote:
Samritpal Singh wrote:I don't necessary love it. Just never seen many naked footballers and especially one with a long penis

I'm not gay though. Seriously.

What a Face

Haha nice.

Hahaha......really?
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:11 pm

From the Arseblog News Article, Wenger has said:

“I think Podolski will play more central for us,” he said in Beijing.

“Giroud is a different target man who would be more the player in a 4-4-2.

“He knocks the ball down, protects the ball well, makes play for his partners, and is a very intelligent player who has great physique, as well as being very strong in the air.”

I get the impression that the Giroud purchase is to directly react to how poor Chamahk has been as a signing. This is exactly what Chamahk was meant to be. Unfortunately, Chamahk is missing a key element for a striker - the ability to shoot.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by marco.batra Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:59 pm

Giroud played brilliantly today. I know he didn't find the net, but he moves very well. I have high hopes for him. I think if RVP stays, this may be one of the top three attacks in the league.
Does anyone else think it might still be worth keeping Van Persie?

marco.batra
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveToffy Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:24 pm

marco.batra wrote:Giroud played brilliantly today. I know he didn't find the net, but he moves very well. I have high hopes for him. I think if RVP stays, this may be one of the top three attacks in the league.
Does anyone else think it might still be worth keeping Van Persie?
Yes. If he wants to stay. I hope his head is being turned a bit by how well our transfer window has gone so far. The 3 new big signings looked great.
DaveToffy
DaveToffy
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:32 pm

I think it is clear that less clubs are interested in him than he would have thought, and all his eggs are in the United basket now.

He has to consider how he'd like to be remembered also. His legacy. His international record hasn't been brilliant. He will only be a good 2 season or so player with United, maybe more, who knows. But he can really be remembered fondly and have a connection with the club if he stays at Arsenal.

The more this drags out, the harder he makes it for Arsenal fans to forgive him, unlike Rooney who U-Turned after a couple of weeks.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by marco.batra Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:51 pm

I think he should stay, and hope the fans forgive him. I think with the current squad Wenger has created a lot of depth. I am just hoping that no one makes a serious offer for Song. Maybe if its 20 mil' plus, than we can pick up a new back up keeper, and some one attack minded in the back field like a lahm or maicon type(obviously not them specifically) In any case, I am quite excited to see how podolski and Giroud work together during the season.

marco.batra
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:15 am

This man now needs to contribute more in his first season than he might have expected, will now play alot of games, not just from the bench. I have faith that Wenger has picked a couple of good solid strikers and lets face it, Chamakh isnt a bad third choice....is he? lol

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:34 pm

Olivier Giroud has urged Arsenal fans to show patience as he looks to step out from Robin van Persie’s shadow.

Giroud could have made the difference after coming off the bench in the second half against Sunderland but when the big chance came, the French striker rushed his shot and fired wide.

However, after his 21 goals helped Montpellier to the Ligue 1 title last season, the 25-year-old is confident things will all soon fall into place with Arsenal.

‘It was a game ball, but the coach told me that I had not to worry about it,’ said Giroud, signed in a £13million deal.

‘This could have been the dream start, but in Montpellier, I did not score for my first game, so I am not worried. Here, I will have plenty of chances and I will score.’
Giroud added: ‘Last season was wonderful here for Robin, but before that, he took time to settle.

‘I am just asking people to be a little patient with me.

‘I am not here to make people forget Robin, because he has made beautiful things here, but I just want to bring something new.

‘However, I am under no more pressure than that, because if I think about that when I go onto the field, I will play with the handbrake on.

‘I know Arsenal is a great club and needs a striker ready and efficient quickly.

‘I need games to get confidence, and it is up to me to succeed.’

Wenger said after the game that Arsenal lacked balance in attack against Sunderland, which Giroud believes that is something which can easily be rectified.

‘It is true that we do not always cross on the first chance, but it is something we have to work on,’ he said.

‘This is important for us because teams come here to defend and we often got the possession. We need be more effective in the final pass.’

http://wearearsenalblog.com/giroud-asks-arsenal-fans-for-time-to-settle-in/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wearearsenalblog%2FWHxg+%28Arsenal+FC+Blog%29
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:37 pm

First game....no sweat.....it will happen....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:47 pm

Disappointing he missed but also pleasing that he made a great run and Cazorla picked him out well. Funny the crosses were mentioned though as during the game after Giroud came on I was hoping for more crosses, he looks like a unit who can challenge in the air. The goals will come. Henry, Bergkamp, Pires and more needed time to settle before they starting firing.
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:46 pm

I said exactly the same thing to some simpletons complaining on the old arsenal board....
People demand instant results....if that's what they want...go support city lol
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:55 pm

it would have been a great start for him to score a winner in the 80th minute. shame.

but agree, of course. no point judging him yet!
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by James Lock Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:49 pm

Prediction: another Chamakh. Won't suit our system and will fade out.
Hope I'm wrong though, as he's a good player.

James Lock
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by kdunn Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:13 pm

James Lock wrote:Prediction: another Chamakh. Won't suit our system and will fade out.

Its utterly amazing that people are saying this only after one and a half games of play. Also playing with a team that is still trying to gel. Santi hasnt scored or made an assist yet so he must be the new bischoff

kdunn
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by James Lock Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:00 pm

kdunn wrote:
James Lock wrote:Prediction: another Chamakh. Won't suit our system and will fade out.

Its utterly amazing that people are saying this only after one and a half games of play. Also playing with a team that is still trying to gel. Santi hasnt scored or made an assist yet so he must be the new bischoff

I'd love to agree with you mate, but I'm looking based on what he looks like as a player and as part of Arsenal's style. Most of his goals I've seen come from either a) set plays or b) counter attacks.
The premier league is more physical and going through a stage of transition from all out attacking play to more defensive/counter attacking football. Arsenal ARENT playing that way. So whichever way you look at it, unless his style is something we haven't seen yet, he's going to struggle as we play almost the opposite to how he's been successful.
I rate Chamakh too as a striker personally, his goals in France have been similar to Girouds. That's why I don't think he'll do well, our system won't allow it, not because his ability is in question.

James Lock
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:33 am

I disagree entirely James, I think it's easy to see, even this quickly, that Giroud is a much more complete player than Chamakh. He did an excellent job of holding the ball up against Stoke, didn't lose a single aerial battle to Shawcross, and by all accounts has great movement off the ball. Likewise, he can actually shoot a football.

I think Giroud is going to be the player we wished for when we signed Chamakh.
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:05 am

Fuck me after one start you write that shit? Pah!

Yeah Joey I agree he looked good its a real shame he didnt have the vision to put in Ramsey near the end but you could argue we need somene ruthless enough to take chances on, sometimes our strikers in the past have looked too scared to shoot, not Olivier.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:22 am

Any chance we can just avoid bringing Chamakh into any discussions on this board?

It's bad enough that Theo frigging Walcott turned out offer down without mentioning that Chamakh is still on our books.

At best he was a work horse at Bordeaux, always a limited footballer. He was an unambitious signing during perhaps our least ambitious period in terms of signings since Wenger came to the club.

As for Giroud, it's surely too earlier to judge him. And certainly unfair to compare him to Chamakh. I think the biggest problem is that playing as the lone striker at Arsenal is extremely difficult. RvP was a rolls royce, there's no way to avoid that, however bitter fans might be. AW will not consider changing our formation because he's frankly stubborn and convinced that his way will work. It remains to be seen whether Giroud has the game to lead the line on his own. Certainly no player in the league could knit the team play together the way RvP did. It might do Giroud a favour to try some other formations as well but we clearly won't do that.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:14 am

I think the idea this year was less reliance on whoever plays through the middle because we wont fill the gap left by RVP this year, much like we didnt fill the gap Fabregas left last season. You have to adapt and overcome and we need to work the ball into the box better and get Giroud in the box and supply him ammunition, not always try to involve him outside the box like we would have done RVP. For me its upto the midfield to create chances in the box for Giroud, not for Giroud to be an RVP replacement.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:36 am

Not many strikers could survive in the Premier League if they're too static. Giroud's movement has already looked decent so far and ultimately the one up top has to help knit the play together or the formation doesn't work.

I'm all for showing more variation in formation, not just throwing a second striker on when we're 2-1 down with ten minutes to go.

In a more general sense, hopefully the lesson of this summer is that we have to show more ambition in our signings. If we don't, we just end up replacing them a year or two later. I haven't totally given up on Gervinho, but if he'd convinced last year then maybe the boss wouldn't have felt the need to get another wide forward/striker in Podolski. Ditto Giroud for Chamakh.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike York Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Olivier Giroud has added his name to Abou Diaby’s long list of admirers by claiming that his compatriot is essential to Arsenal’s midfield.

Praised by Arsene Wenger, Bacary Sagna and by French national team manager Didier Deschamps following a barnstorming start to the season, the 26-year-old finally appears to be showing his potential following a well-documented long-term battle to regain fitness.

Despite only playing with Diaby for the first time this summer, Giroud told FIFA.com that he was immensely impressed by all facets of his new teammates’ game.

“Abou is absolutely essential to how we approach games tactically at Arsenal.

“He’s an athletic, complete player, extremely effective at winning the ball back, but also at distributing it and driving into opposition territory.

“He’s a very important player for the club, but also for France, and he’s doing everything he can to leave his injury problems behind him.

“He’s a great professional, and it’s reassuring to play alongside him.”

Looking back on his first month in the Premier League, Giroud also took time to praise the Arsenal fans for heartily welcoming him into the Gooner bosom.

“The atmosphere in the stadiums is pretty much what I was expecting; the support from the fans is amazing!

“They chant non-stop, and I felt very honoured that they even sang a little song about me when I arrived.

“On top of that, the fans are very knowledgeable. They applaud when you block a clearance, when you drop back to help in defence, or when you put in a strong tackle. It’s actually a tremendous way of looking at the game.

“In terms of the quality of play, the Premier League is, in my eyes, the best league in the world. It’s very intense and demanding, and requires much more focus.

“I’ve not been too surprised by that, to be fair, as I used to watch English matches on TV quite often, but you just have to put all that out of your mind and go out and play.”

http://news.arseblog.com/2012/09/giroud-loves-diaby-and-the-arsenal-fans/?utm_source=feedburner.com%2Farseblognews&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arseblognews+%28Arseblog+News+-+the+Arsenal+news+site%29
Mike York
Mike York
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:53 pm

I read he got booed by the French fans last night when he got subbed off against Belarus. Football fans are just complete blithering idiots.

As long as he contributes to victories like he did at Anfield I don't really care if he doesn't score as many as some people seem to think he should. His work rate and movement are excellent.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:30 am

The pressure being put on this man is unreal. He didn't even play 3 full games and people are calling him a flop already. I am sure he'll turn out to be a great success and will finish our top scorer most probably.

Fuckers need to remember that a certain rvp took 7 years to start playing well.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:15 am

ralph avedikian wrote:Fuckers need to remember that a certain rvp took 7 years to start playing well.

Yikes, steady with the historical revisionism there.

As for Giroud, it's important to remember that most football fans are fuckwits. He'll get time to prove himself and in the long run could be a good/very good signing. It's too early to tell, but unlike at places like Chelsea or Real Madrid he's not going to get dropped/sold because he hasn't looked a world beater instantly.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Adriel Williams Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:24 pm

John Foxall wrote:
ralph avedikian wrote:Fuckers need to remember that a certain rvp took 7 years to start playing well.

Yikes, steady with the historical revisionism there.

As for Giroud, it's important to remember that most football fans are fuckwits. He'll get time to prove himself and in the long run could be a good/very good signing. It's too early to tell, but unlike at places like Chelsea or Real Madrid he's not going to get dropped/sold because he hasn't looked a world beater instantly.

LOL i saw that and almost choked on my own spit. RVP took 7 years? Jesus.

Adriel Williams
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum