Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Van Persie Thread

+45
Alan Dawson
chris eades
Vijay Saibola
Alejandro Perreira
marco.batra
chubbtrue
ChippyBrady
kique.canto
Joey Schwab
Sue Lee
fkamil
Vanig Bostanian
Dan Hakim
Will.sheng
JavierVen
Adham Khattab
Jason Morrison
Adriel Williams
pwoodman1
Meshaal
Yash
janelle.noel
Michael Foster
Steve Dawson
John Foxall
kdunn
Marko Maksimović
Greg Waters
Jenks1981
Mike York
DaveToffy
vyom.chaudhary
Chris Chan
Subrat Koirala
nick t
Hisham El Mawan
Mohamed Samir
Jonathan Prendergast
ralph avedikian
Sami Rockfeller
ahrstic
Michael Schatzky
Mario
Ashraf Peeran
Zaid Derweesh
49 posters

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

The Van Persie Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Van Persie Thread

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:06 am

Van Persie will 'kill' Bebe
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Waters Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:17 am

JavierVen wrote:I'm the only one who thinks that everything that was planned for a long time?

I mean, the boss already knew that RvP was going to go, so I'm sure some of the players who have called for the team will come, have 2 days to the start of the league we have to wait and see what happens .

Amy Lawrence's article in the Guardian argues as much... and I'm inclined to agree that the board/Wenger probably knew what was coming:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/aug/15/arsenal-robin-van-persie-manchester-united1

This could get much worse if Song/Theo become disenchanted and try to jump ship. The relationships each of them developed with RvP were pretty deadly... so of course, yet again we are "rebuilding" and forced to gel a new team. At least we're better prepared than last year?

We'll have to really make a statement with a title push if we're going to try and argue with the "selling club/training ground" labels.

Greg Waters
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Hakim Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:05 pm

Maybe I'm being naive, but I think this move is going to turn our terribly for Utd. They just spent roughly 24 million pounds on a 29 year old, injury prone player with probably only 1 or 2 good years left in him. We may not have won in this situation, but I feel like they definitely lost. If Arsenal did what utd did, we'd all be furious.
Dan Hakim
Dan Hakim
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:11 pm

Dan Hakim wrote:Maybe I'm being naive, but I think this move is going to turn our terribly for Utd. They just spent roughly 24 million pounds on a 29 year old, injury prone player with probably only 1 or 2 good years left in him. We may not have won in this situation, but I feel like they definitely lost. If Arsenal did what utd did, we'd all be furious.

I disagree. There are all the tangible things to take into consideration, like the tranfer cost, age, player quality, goals etc etc.

But for this transfer, it is the less tangible things that make it a big win for United over Arsenal. It sends a strong signal. It ensures that United show they are the most attractive club for players in England. It maintains their recent dominance over us. It shows to all the players and coaches out there, that we are 2nd choice to United (not taking into account other clubs). It maintains our reputation as a selling club, development club and not a real contender anymore.

I am not normally so depressive.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Hakim Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:05 pm

You're probably right, and my brain is probably trying to protect itself. But maybe Wenger and the board thought that RVP hit his prime, and if he was going to go, this was the perfect time to get maximum money out of him. Would I rather RVP had stayed? Yes. Would I rather he had gone - literally - anywhere else? Absolutely. Is this the end of the world? No.
Dan Hakim
Dan Hakim
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Darcy Gorman Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:09 pm

This just all feels very shameful.

If Juve really put 15 mil on the table then we are fools for not taking it. What is the reported figure? Between 22-24 mil? 7-9 mil to avoid the debate about feeder clubs, ambition etc and to protect the brand that is Arsenal is cheap, very cheap.

Darcy Gorman
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Hakim Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:19 pm

Yeah, 7-9 mil to pay 4 years wages at roughly 100,000/week, and the other 15 mil to bring in another high profile player. And who paid for it? Man U. Yeah, we're morons. That's how I'm choosing to look at it.

This is assuming the money goes directly into the squad.
Dan Hakim
Dan Hakim
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveToffy Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:26 pm

This almost annual exodus of our top players will stop the day we win a major trophy.
DaveToffy
DaveToffy
First Team Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:28 pm

Vermaelen will probably be made our new captain, problem is I can easliy see Barca whoring themselves to him next summer... ah fucking well, one fucking day we will rise to the top and give big fat fuck you to everyone who ever fucked us over (parden the profanity)
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:09 pm

I want to be the first to say that the King must come back on loan this winter again. We dont need another striker, Henry in the squad over the winter would be just fine.

£24 Million is good business, i've woken up today feeling very positive.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:22 pm

Jenks1981 wrote:I want to be the first to say that the King must come back on loan this winter again. We dont need another striker, Henry in the squad over the winter would be just fine.

I agree with you jenks....woke today actually laughing at at how fantastic this deal has been.....ok so we lost his goals...on average its 14 per season...it's the games that when he was out that cost us..which quite frankly was a lot...we won't have a team struggling to carry a burden of holding the front line goals together when he is out for X amount of games....we have signed in my opinion 3 quality..sorry outstanding attacking players....24 million for a player pushing 30 is good business for anybody....

If we sign another quality player in return I can still see us having a quality season...and with hopefully the verminator taking the arm band we will have a very confident and strong captain that in my opinion gives 110% every game...this is something we have also lacked since the days of Vieira....

ideally...I would like to see us sign cisse of Newcastle and m'vila...if not m'Vila and a quality goal keeper as back up....

Ok so in some way this deal will leave most smarting because it's man u......anybody else think our squad is as good as United's with or without vp?.....argue the fact that man u have a winning mentality...I believe our new players will add to ours...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by JavierVen Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:30 pm

Jenks1981 wrote:I want to be the first to say that the King must come back on loan this winter again. We dont need another striker, Henry in the squad over the winter would be just fine.

I disagree, I do think we need another striker to cover our backs, we have only 2 front nature centers (Giroud, Chamahk)

Park, B52, do not count for Wenger and most probable is that they go.

Now if any of our 2 strikers is injured or suspended we are left with only a Striker to face four competitions?
JavierVen
JavierVen
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenks1981 Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:35 pm

JavierVen wrote:

I disagree, I do think we need another striker to cover our backs, we have only 2 front nature centers (Giroud, Chamahk)

Park, B52, do not count for Wenger and most probable is that they go.

Now if any of our 2 strikers is injured or suspended we are left with only a Striker to face four competitions?

I disagree, this is what squads and versatility is all about.

We have three actually, Podolski, Giroud and Chamakh - I really expect the majority of Podolski's time to be spent in the middle and then if we need to both Walcott and Gervinho can do a job through the middle, players can rotate with them with any of Arshavin, Chamberlain and Cazorla playing on the wings, if anywhere I would suggest one more winger would be the better option seeing as Ryo has gone on loan. Supplement all that with Henry for 2 months and im happy, personally.

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:06 am

Am I the only one that is thinking chamakh could be coming good this season....

Also just to add.....it seams our hight of players is on the up....good for all those high balls we have waisted in the past...hight to attack,another thing regarding arshavin...
Now robin has gone I am expecting if he is kept to do a lot better than last season.
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Joey Schwab Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:58 am

Michael Foster wrote:Am I the only one that is thinking chamakh could be coming good this season....

Yes.
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko Maksimović Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:32 am

Joey Schwab wrote:
Michael Foster wrote:Am I the only one that is thinking chamakh could be coming good this season....

Yes.

I dunno. I think he could, but every time I've defended him he's gone and made me look like a chop.
Marko Maksimović
Marko Maksimović
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Hakim Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:50 am

Marko Maksimović wrote:
Joey Schwab wrote:

Yes.

I dunno. I think he could, but every time I've defended him he's gone and made me look like a chop.

And if there's ONE thing you DON'T want to look like, it's a chop.

Anyway, to be honest, I'm a little more upset about this talk of Song going to Barca than RVP.
Dan Hakim
Dan Hakim
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Vijay Saibola Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:20 am

The biggest Cu*t ever. Not long ago, he looked like a player who genuinely loved Arsenal. In the end, he just spit on Wenger, Wengers work and on the Arsenal fans. Would he really be happy to play for those cunts?! Of all the teams in the world, Manure. FFS. Hope he breaks his legs.

Vijay Saibola
Reserves

Back to top Go down

Post by Adriel Williams Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:04 am

Couple things: Im a bit peaved we sold to United, because of the message it sends. But we got a fair amount for a 29 year old injury prone striker. Albeit, one of the best in the world. But i think that is more down to Arsenal and our style of play accommodating his strengths more than anything.

United just doesnt seem like a good fit for RVP. I for one cant ever recall a time where he has looked dominant in a squad where he isnt the dominant figure. Will he still be able to drop deep and link play? Will he be pigeon holed into an out and out CF? Will he and Rooney fight each other for the same spaces on the field?

We absolutely HAVE to buy another striker. Giroud and Chamakh are our 1 and 2 right now. Across 4 competitions this is dire. Giroud is new and unproven...Chamakh is not good enough. Podolski is not and has never been used as an out and out striker. He is a wide player or part of a strike group. Arsene will not deploy him in that role unless he absolutely has to. We will see more signings i believe. M'Vila must be bought. I can see Song being sold this window as well.

Adriel Williams
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:19 am

As far as I am concerned manu could have given us 50 mil for him...I don't care as such how much we get for him it's just one thing...

Don't sell to man u...would rather him had gone to city and potentialy stopped united bagging another title.....

Robin in the end just did what we all would do..well most and get paid more at a place where the perks are a slightly more of a guarantee...

This said how fucking foolish is the club looking for letting another contract run itself right to the wire....

I want to hear what usmanov has to say on this one...I bet he is absolutly fuming!!
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:22 am

Joey Schwab wrote:

Yes.

Cheers joey boy lol.....

All jokes aside i think he might just come good this season....if not give him the arm band...that will ship him sharpish hahaha...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:04 am

Michael Foster wrote:
Joey Schwab wrote:

Yes.

Cheers joey boy lol.....

All jokes aside i think he might just come good this season....if not give him the arm band...that will ship him sharpish hahaha...

we'll be in the championship before that happens...quite literally

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Subrat Koirala Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:14 am

Wenger has done the best thing that could've been done in the circumstances. I think he's acted desperate to hold onto Robin purposefully, and forcing Fergie to splash the cash will justify Arsene has succeded. Yes, there may be thoughts of selling our prolific striker to United sending the wrong signals, but win a trophy and all of this along with RVP will be forgotten. But are we well equipped? I think yes. We've replaced an injury prone 29 year old with a proven German who still has good 3-4 years ahead of him. And note, not injury prone. Add Giroud, Cazorla, Walcott and Gervinho to contribute the goals, and I think we'll make up for Robin's loss. We also tended to play to Robin's strength a lot more last season, hence hindering our attacking threat when he wasn't on song, so I expect us to score a bit more freely this year. And I'm positive we'll add a couple players more.
All in all, despite RVP's sale, I haven't been this optimistic ahead of a season for quite a while now!
Subrat Koirala
Subrat Koirala
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Morrison Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Hearing united supporters chanting R V P on SKY Sports news made me want to puke!
Jason Morrison
Jason Morrison
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by richard.fallaize Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:39 am

I just saw RVP in Manchester United clothes in a photo in the Mail online............ he was also *sigh* laughing with Rooney..... probably laughing at us Sad

richard.fallaize
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next