Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Squad Size

+3
ralph avedikian
Jenks1981
Christopher Flanagan
7 posters

Go down

Squad Size Empty Squad Size

Post by Christopher Flanagan Sun May 13, 2012 8:31 am

Alright dudes and dudettes,

I was just having a bit of a think about squad size. I've written about it (very briefly) here: http://flannyflaps.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/some-quick-thoughts-on-squad-size.html

Our squad is currently much too big but if we can get rid of players who essentially offer nothing, we have quite a lot of scope for additions:

HG = Home Grown
Number in brackets = requires a squad place (ie is over 21 on 01/01/2012)
Minimum 8 HG players required

Core players

Goalkeepers:
Szczesny (1) HG
Martinez

Defenders:
Sagna (2)
Vermaelen (3)
Santos (4)
Gibbs (5) HG
Mertesacker (6)
Koscielny (7)
Jenkinson

Midfielders:
Arteta (8)
Rosicky (9)
Ramsey (10) HG
Frimpong
Coquelin
Song (11) HG
Diaby (12)
Chamberlain

Forwards:
van Persie (13)
Walcott (14) HG
Gervais (15)
Miyaichi
Podolski (16)

Fringe players:
Vela (17)
Fabianski (18)
Squillaci (19)
Park (20)
Chamakh (21)
Denilson (22)
Mannone (23) HG
Bendtner (24) HG
Arshavin (25)

Lansbury (squad place needed) HG Afobe Bartley Campbell (no squad place but now too old to be home grown) Henderson (squad place needed) HG

So, put simply, without considerable departures, our squad is too big. We have 25 overage players but even that in itself is too many: since we don't have 8 overage homegrown players, we will need to cede some squad places. In the 'core' squad, we have five home grown players; thus, if we enter next season without having added any more home grown players, the maximum number of over 21s we can have is 22. Therefore adding Henri Lansbury and Conor Henderson (or indeed any other home grown over 21s) does not significantly affect us; we'd simply go from having a squad of 16 with 6 spaces for foreign over 21s to a squad of 18 with 6 places for additions over 21.

This does grant us a degree of latitude, if – and only if – we can find purchasers for our surplus. And that doesn't even mean getting rid of Diaby.
Christopher Flanagan
Christopher Flanagan
Admin

https://arsenal.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Squad Size Empty Re: Squad Size

Post by Jenks1981 Sun May 13, 2012 7:35 pm

I've said in other threads that I dont see us getting "good" money for any of the likely departures personally, no one has money except for a few blessed clubs at the moment but its seemingly more important to trim the squad anyway 1. for the reasons you've explained and 2. to reduce our wage bill.

Arshavin, Bendtner, Vela, Mannone, Denilson, Chamakh, Park, Lansbury, Henderson, Squillaci, Almunia all should be going for me, potentially Fabiankski and Diaby as well but that would wholely depend on additions for me. So we have alot of work to do to find new homes for these players, very few have done much in the last year to attract clubs in my eyes bar Bendtner (could see another Premiership club going for him) and Vela (surely must have caught a few eyes in Spain).

Jenks1981
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Sun May 13, 2012 8:32 pm

All the 'fringe players' section should leave.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sun May 13, 2012 9:17 pm

All this discussion makes the lack of depth in our squad more clear to me, despite signing Podolski.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Sun May 13, 2012 10:47 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:All this discussion makes the lack of depth in our squad more clear to me, despite signing Podolski.

What lack of depth?? We have 2 left back and 2 right backs, 4 good center backs(excluding squillaci, miquel,bartley). 3 defensive midfielders, 2 attacking, 3 'third spot midfielder' and 4 wingers excluding ryo and arshavin.

We only lack quality, not depth in the goalkeeping and center forward department. (considering podolski a left winger, which may well not be the case)

Last edited by ralph avedikian on Sun May 13, 2012 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by John Foxall Sun May 13, 2012 10:56 pm

We obviously lack something.

3 defensive midfielders? Apparently only Arteta can play the holding role as Song doesn't have a sense of responsibility and positioning in his absence.

2 attacking midfielders? Only Rosicky has played well in the furthest forward midfield role.

We have tonnes of wingers that's certainly true!

As you say, only one goalkeeper and centre forward (that fits our formation) of note.

John Foxall
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sun May 13, 2012 11:14 pm

ralph avedikian wrote:
Jonathan Prendergast wrote:All this discussion makes the lack of depth in our squad more clear to me, despite signing Podolski.

What lack of depth?? We have 2 left back and 2 right backs, 4 good center backs(excluding squillaci, miquel,bartley). 3 defensive midfielders, 2 attacking, 3 'third spot midfielder' and 4 wingers excluding ryo and arshavin.

We only lack quality, not depth in the goalkeeping and center forward department. (considering podolski a left winger, which may well not be the case)

We're only down to 12-13 players when we start hitting fringe players. Unlike most the top sides around Europe, who have at least 16 proper first teamers.

It's hard to separate quality and depth, so we are probably on the same page. Having a shit back up left back for example is lacking quality and depth.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian Mon May 14, 2012 5:31 am

Whoever doesn't contribute at all and isn't likely to do so should be got ridden of, i.e. Diaby, Almunia, Squillaci

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Mon May 14, 2012 5:52 am

So many places are taken up by complete deadwood. We need a mass clearout of those players and once that happens, we should find there is a fair bit of room to manoeuvre with regards to influx of players

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down