Hating on Arsenal

Go down

Hating on Arsenal Empty Hating on Arsenal

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:37 am

A thread to express your frustration when media, commentators or otherwise show biased views against the Arsenal.

In the QPR game, the commentator (actually, the special comments guy, not main commentator) had an agenda to criticise Arsenal defensively. No idea why. But every little thing drew a comment. The number of times Vermaelen was apparently 'Bullied'...it seemed every second word for a while! It was very frustrating.

Last night, Yaya Toure tripped up Rosicky who was starting an attack. Rosicky got up with his hands in the air complaining. The special comments guy said something to the effect of 'you watch this, they'll complain about everything today, trying to get the player booked, I don't like to see that on the football field' or something similar. Yaya got the yellow. Then when Balotelli finally got sent off for his second yellow for the tackle on Sagna, the commentator accused Sagna of rolling 3 times to make the most of it. Ironically, 2 minutes after a dive by Balotelli (after a good run) that drew no comment.

I just have no idea, why there is such bias against Arsenal in some media quarters? You'd suspect racism, but there are more foreigners and also a foreign coach at City, who didn't cop it like we did last night..
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hating on Arsenal Empty Re: Hating on Arsenal

Post by Mario on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:15 am

That was Tony Gale in the QPR game and he has been doing that for years. I don't buy this media 'bias' thing that some suggest but Gale is a massive idiot, he ruins any game I'm watching no matter who is playing, such as the two Apoel-Lyon games. Guy has no knowledge of European football but Sky gave him both games.

Just another of these loud mouth ex-players with his foot in the door and friends in the industry that broadcasters think we want to listen to. He's also a pundit on Sky Sports News, so if something important happens or it's been a weekend with lots of talking points, they wheel him out like anyone gives a shit.

I think that's the problem. It's not that Sky or ITV are biased against your club, because any Man Utd/Liverpool/Spurs fan thinks there's bias against their team, it's just that they hire morons (Adrian Chiles as host for ITV... fucks sake) and they give them a huge platform to talk out of their backside.

Mario
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Jonathan - I was watching on Fox Soccer in the US (the only channel that will tell you what colours each team are wearing...in the 90th minute), and I think I did hear him say that about Sagna, making 'a big deal' or some other such nonsense. Luckily the sound of other people in the bar drowned him out.

We did shut him up though, Arteta did!

What gets my goat is Arsenal fans cheering for Ox all the time. Sure, he looked awesome for the few games he played, but mostly in patches. I like him and thinks he ought to get more time, but not over Gervinho, no sir not for me. I feel the hype over Ox is a bit overboard (Miyaichi too) - haven't we seen this before? Haven't we hyped our players before they were ready? Denilson, Vela, Walcott, even Ramsey. Wilshere and Cesc were exceptions, they were already ace, but the rest need time, need patience, and need support, not hype and hyperbole.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:37 pm

It's tough. Each player is different. And the fans play a strange roll in the whole affair.

Some players, like Wilshere, have become regular starters at very young ages. Some need time.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Ironically, earlier in the week Arseblog pondered if our players don't complain enough. That maybe if they did a bit more, like Chelsea and United, we might get a few more 50/50's going our way.

Now, supposedly, we are notable complainers!
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samritpal Singh on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:26 pm

Yeah I heard that commentary where he said Sagna made the most of it. WTF.
Samritpal Singh
Samritpal Singh
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:03 pm

I went mad during the QPR game while watching it in English commentary. In the past years, I dreaded listening to Arabic commentary because they only write emotional poems and have no knowledge about football. Well, I've been streaming games lately and found out that English commentary is not much better in terms of knowledge and even worse when it comes to being biased against Walcott or Ramsey or any other of our players who seem to be scapegoats. I'm beginning to enjoy Arabic commentary these days.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:10 pm

overhyping of talented youngsters will always be the case in football. it is down to the manager to control the hype which is what wenger does very well. he will take the flak for not playing the ox or ryo (at the start of the season) because he knows how detrimental a few bad games at the beginning of your career can be due to stick from fans, the media etc. wenger is wise enough not to care what anyone else thinks and does protect our players from unnecessary pressure

Chris Chan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:25 pm

Speaking of suspensions, I read somewhere that Ivanovic got a three game ban which means he will miss the game against us. There goes their goal scoring threat.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:10 pm

Van Roy Bostanian wrote:I went mad during the QPR game while watching it in English commentary. In the past years, I dreaded listening to Arabic commentary because they only write emotional poems and have no knowledge about football. Well, I've been streaming games lately and found out that English commentary is not much better in terms of knowledge and even worse when it comes to being biased against Walcott or Ramsey or any other of our players who seem to be scapegoats. I'm beginning to enjoy Arabic commentary these days.

Hahah, exactly. The arabic commentators all think that they're poets, but they're horrible. Then again the English commentators are more often than not snide, spiteful little shits.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sami Rockfeller on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:53 pm

Zaid Derweesh wrote:
Van Roy Bostanian wrote:I went mad during the QPR game while watching it in English commentary. In the past years, I dreaded listening to Arabic commentary because they only write emotional poems and have no knowledge about football. Well, I've been streaming games lately and found out that English commentary is not much better in terms of knowledge and even worse when it comes to being biased against Walcott or Ramsey or any other of our players who seem to be scapegoats. I'm beginning to enjoy Arabic commentary these days.

Hahah, exactly. The arabic commentators all think that they're poets, but they're horrible. Then again the English commentators are more often than not snide, spiteful little shits.

HAHAHAHA!! I remember once a commentator singing Koscielny's name to an Amr Diab song. The most hilarious shit ever.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

View user profile http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveToffy on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:51 am

That FOX Soccer commentator was an absolute tool. Every time Balotelli fouled the sh*t out of one of our players we were "making a meal of it". The clown didn't miss a SINGLE chance to say "there he is rolling around, walks to the sideline, and now he's back up and running around 30 seconds later!" as if every player on every team in the professional football world doesn't do that. Yet he ONLY spoke up when it was an Arsenal player who had just been legitimately fouled.

And yeah that crap he said about 'you watch this, they'll complain about everything today, trying to get the player booked, I don't like to see that on the football field' - screw him. Go watch Barcelona or Rooney play you stupid prick.
DaveToffy
DaveToffy
First Team Squad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Sisson on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:16 am

I heard it was Stewart Robson on TV when we played City?

He's employed by our own club, so I think he slags off our players a lot more to appear unbiased. I've listened to him call a few of our games though, and he just seems a miserable bastard to be honest.
Adam Sisson
Adam Sisson
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanig Bostanian on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:43 am

Sami Rockfeller wrote:
Zaid Derweesh wrote:

HAHAHAHA!! I remember once a commentator singing Koscielny's name to an Amr Diab song. The most hilarious shit ever.
Koscieln'y name toan Amr Diab song? LOL missed that one.

Vanig Bostanian
Cult Hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:27 pm

I fucking hate all '2nd' commentators. Trevor Francis the most.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jason.mandryk on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:46 am

Two things.

1) Making more of it and complaining more. You saw Chelsea really start to do this under Mourinho and United under Ferguson. Roy Keane would terrorize refs, John Terry not too different. It definitely had a measurable effect. When it was done in concert - three or four players hounding the ref - it undeniably works. Barcelona have mastered this. Every time they are fouled, or think they are fouled, the player makes a meal of it, and the rest of the team surround the ref and demand cards. If they break another player's leg, they are complaining to the ref about diving and trying to pull the victim back up to his feet. It is a deliberate and intentional tactic, it is reprehensible, but it definitely works. Arsenal have usually not engaged in this as a tactic, but if other teams are employing it to good effect, then you have to ask why we wouldn't. Although I'd prefer we didn't. But if it's worth a few points a season...

2) The bias of the media against Arsenal is there to a degree. But it does depend on which facets of the media. What I find is that ex-Liverpool players are blind to the flaws of their club - or at least refuse to openly talk about them. In contrast, you see Lee Dixon, Petit, Wrighty and others all quite happy to state both the good and the bad about Arsenal. The anti-Arsenal bias seems to be largely coming from the less-informed brigade of predominantly British pundits who pander to readers of the Star/Mail/Sun etc.
jason.mandryk
jason.mandryk
Reserves

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down