Arsenal Cognoscenti
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Podolski deal almost done - but can he do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke?

+13
Adriel Williams
Cyril Karwa
Jonathan Prendergast
Jenks1981
Justin Chew
Samritpal Singh
Zaid Derweesh
Vanig Bostanian
Dan Hakim
DaveToffy
ralph avedikian
Sami Rockfeller
Subrat Koirala
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Podolski deal almost done - but can he do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke? - Page 2 Empty Re: Podolski deal almost done - but can he do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke?

Post by Chris Chan Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:05 pm

the statement is completely irrelevant to pretty much anything when descirbing messi or any other footballer

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Podolski deal almost done - but can he do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke? - Page 2 Empty Re: Podolski deal almost done - but can he do it on a cold Tuesday night in Stoke?

Post by Sami Rockfeller Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:30 pm

Adriel Williams wrote:I'm going to bite and say its a completely fair statement to make. We all know Messi is a genius. But we've all seen first hand how negative tactics can affect even some of the most free flowing football we've played. Unfortunately we'll most likely never see Messi in the Premiership, but I'd love to see him out of his comfort zone on an English side, playing on a shit pitch, in the cold, on short rest...against a bunch of cavemen. Would be a great watch lol

He'd still leave a dozen defenders in his wake.
Sami Rockfeller
Sami Rockfeller
Matchday Starter

http://theembarrassment.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:48 pm

Sami Rockfeller wrote:
Adriel Williams wrote:I'm going to bite and say its a completely fair statement to make. We all know Messi is a genius. But we've all seen first hand how negative tactics can affect even some of the most free flowing football we've played. Unfortunately we'll most likely never see Messi in the Premiership, but I'd love to see him out of his comfort zone on an English side, playing on a shit pitch, in the cold, on short rest...against a bunch of cavemen. Would be a great watch lol

He'd still leave a dozen defenders in his wake.

We'll never know will we?

Just look at how he plays for Argentina. I wouldn't think it's a foregone conclusion that he could maintain the level he has for Barcelona at another club in another league.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:39 pm

A reporter from the BBC is heading down to the Emirates today for an interview discussing about the deal for the prince amongst other things...

We shall know more by this evening
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Chew Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:22 am

Michael Foster wrote:A reporter from the BBC is heading down to the Emirates today for an interview discussing about the deal for the prince amongst other things...

We shall know more by this evening
and? where's tHe "more"?

Justin Chew
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Flanagan Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Messi gets kicked from pillar to post in la Liga, he'd be a success wherever he played.

I'm not sure any commentator ever actually did question whether Messi could do it on a cold tuesday night in Stole, either.
Christopher Flanagan
Christopher Flanagan
Admin

https://arsenal.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:29 pm

Christopher Flanagan wrote:I'm not sure any commentator ever actually did question whether Messi could do it on a cold tuesday night in Stole, either.

It's been mentioned a few times on the radio and on twitter, I think it has stemmed from something Andy Gray said a few years back and then the phrase stemmed from there

Chris Chan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:08 am

Messi could probably do it whatever league he played in, but if Stoke signed him tomorrow, how much would he realistically do for them? He wouldn't get the service, and they don't play his game. They'd just hoof it up field for little Messi to win headers. On the other hand, if he came to Arsenal or even Swansea (I suppose) he'd be a huge success.

There was talk about this on F365, he'd suit some teams more than others. For example, C Ronaldo would probably be a much much better fit at Stoke: he's strong, he's fast, he can win those headers, etc etc.

I'd happily concede that Messi is more one-dimensional than C Ronaldo, but that doesn't mean he isn't the better player.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:27 am

Zaid Derweesh wrote:I'd happily concede that Messi is more one-dimensional than C Ronaldo, but that doesn't mean he isn't the better player.

The only clear difference between Messi and Ronaldo is the amount of hype Messi gets and the dislike towards Ronaldo due to his character. I honestly cannot see why Messi is so easily considered to be the better of the two. They have similar goal-scoring records, they score all kinds of goals, simple and amazing and they both play in teams full of world class players.

If anything RVP is better than both this season, with a goal and assist record to match them, playing in a far more competitive league and with inferior players around him.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:42 am

RVP's goals and assist don't match messi's ro cr's.. don't be so biased cmon.

Messi is the greates player the world has ever seen.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Prendergast Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:47 am

Zaid Derweesh wrote:Messi could probably do it whatever league he played in, but if Stoke signed him tomorrow, how much would he realistically do for them? He wouldn't get the service, and they don't play his game. They'd just hoof it up field for little Messi to win headers. On the other hand, if he came to Arsenal or even Swansea (I suppose) he'd be a huge success.

There was talk about this on F365, he'd suit some teams more than others. For example, C Ronaldo would probably be a much much better fit at Stoke: he's strong, he's fast, he can win those headers, etc etc.

I'd happily concede that Messi is more one-dimensional than C Ronaldo, but that doesn't mean he isn't the better player.

lol - the expression isn't about playing for Stoke. it is about playing Stoke, for their current/existing/normal team.
Jonathan Prendergast
Jonathan Prendergast
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:50 am

It's close enough and I'm not being biased. As for him being the greatest player the world has ever seen... meh. I disagree.

Hardly any of the people who make that claim watched Maradona or Pele at all, let alone on a consistent basis, and that's not even mentioning older players like Di Stefano. So how can they possibly make that assertion without the evidence?

It's bullshit. But then again, to be fair, most of the drivel the media hype machine comes up with is bullshit.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:54 am

It's not me saying that, I didn't watch any of the old greats.. it's almost every pundit I hear, every football fan I ask. Messi is really something special.

Btw, RVP has 33 goals this season, Messi and CR have more than 50 both.. Gomez is in between.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Hadjicharalampous Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:03 am

My argument that he's been better than them doesn't just come down to stats... but I'm pretty sure they've both played more games than him as well. Either way, I don't think it's a stretch to say that he's been just as good this season, when you take into account all the relevant factors.

It's not me saying that, I didn't watch any of the old greats.. it's almost every pundit I hear, every football fan I ask. Messi is really something special.

I don't really care who's saying it, the point still stands. Most football fans are blithering idiots who fall for the hype. Just read most of the posts on the Arsenal Facebook group wall. I'm inclined to think that the pundits are just as stupid and ill-informed.

Nobody's arguing he's not special, just that it's extremely ridiculous to argue that he's the greatest ever when you don't even have the relevant information to make the comparison.
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Alex Hadjicharalampous
Matchday Bench

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:07 am

Yeah I agree it's ridiculous to compare, but there is a strong possibility that he may well be, or at least in the top 5. Goes without saying that he is miles ahead of RVP or anyone else.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:
Zaid Derweesh wrote:Messi could probably do it whatever league he played in, but if Stoke signed him tomorrow, how much would he realistically do for them? He wouldn't get the service, and they don't play his game. They'd just hoof it up field for little Messi to win headers. On the other hand, if he came to Arsenal or even Swansea (I suppose) he'd be a huge success.

lol - the expression isn't about playing for Stoke. it is about playing Stoke, for their current/existing/normal team.

Haha I know, but there is the argument that both players benefit from the players they have around them - Messi in particular. Perhaps adaptability and the ability to do it no matter what count in an argument like this.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2