Some Stuff What I Wrote

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Some Stuff What I Wrote - Page 2 Empty Re: Some Stuff What I Wrote

Post by Zaid Derweesh on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:08 am

Chris Chan wrote:

I would guess Utd actually have had a similar injury list to ours over the years. When Valencia broke his leg, Nani stepped up, when Ferdinand got injured, Evans helped set a new consecutive clean sheet record, Vidic has been out most of the season and Jones/Smalling have done OK, they lost Hargreaves after he was a huge factor in them winning league and CL double and Utd still won the league.




this year yes. Over the years? I'd disagree.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

Posts : 525
Join date : 2012-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Some Stuff What I Wrote - Page 2 Empty Re: Some Stuff What I Wrote

Post by Joey Schwab on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:51 am

Christopher Flanagan wrote:

"What happen to clever strategies like buying cast-offs from richer clubs?"

This is something that Arsène did incredibly effectively in the early part of his career. Kanu, whole in the heart; Overmars, banjaxed knee; Henry, failing to settle in Italy...why don't we do this any more? Especially when clubs like Real and Manchester City are stockpiling players with such reckless abandon. It seems the only market inefficiency Wenger wants to exploit is the youth market, which is becomin increasingly squeezed and expensive. 20 years ago someone like Götze or Hazard would still be a relatively cheap unknown. Globalisation has change that.

Perfect example that we missed out on: Van der Vaart. Small transfer fee, reasonable wages. No reason he wouldn't have chose us over the Spuds if we were interested.
Joey Schwab
Joey Schwab
First Team Squad

Posts : 240
Join date : 2012-01-08
Age : 30
Location : Detroit

View user profile http://joeyschwab.com

Back to top Go down

Some Stuff What I Wrote - Page 2 Empty Re: Some Stuff What I Wrote

Post by Michael Foster on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:14 am

Joey Schwab wrote:
Christopher Flanagan wrote:

"What happen to clever strategies like buying cast-offs from richer clubs?"

This is something that Arsène did incredibly effectively in the early part of his career. Kanu, whole in the heart; Overmars, banjaxed knee; Henry, failing to settle in Italy...why don't we do this any more? Especially when clubs like Real and Manchester City are stockpiling players with such reckless abandon. It seems the only market inefficiency Wenger wants to exploit is the youth market, which is becomin increasingly squeezed and expensive. 20 years ago someone like Götze or Hazard would still be a relatively cheap unknown. Globalisation has change that.

Perfect example that we missed out on: Van der Vaart. Small transfer fee, reasonable wages. No reason he wouldn't have chose us over the Spuds if we were interested.

It still to this day pissed me off that we did not get him...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Posts : 4525
Join date : 2012-01-07
Age : 38
Location : the back and beyond..aka..Norwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Some Stuff What I Wrote - Page 2 Empty Re: Some Stuff What I Wrote

Post by James Lock on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:25 am

Jonathan Prendergast wrote:
James Lock wrote:Looking at it from a purely off the field/long term financial point of view I think that's a very good read. However if we're looking at efficiency I think the main factor of inefficiency is with the playing staff and the tactical decisions. It is these factors alone in my opinion which have led to the supposed 'downfall' of the team/club in recent seasons and that is something that should be addressed. It probably is addressed to death by some and it's likely to have been the cause of significant frustration with constructive comments such as "Mertesacker is shit", however for me the tactical style and ethos and the evolution/lack of within the club is the only prominent problem.

Like I said though, fantastic article.

So you are saying, that the experience and capability of our players we have are fine. And based on our squad, we should be achieving more? And it is the tactical style and ethos that lets us down?

I disagree. I would say that the teams above us and even below have more capable and experienced squads. I think Wenger's work, over the course of a season, once injuries are accounted for, increases the team to be greater than the sum of its parts.


Looking at it probably from a tilted point of view as a coach, I'd say yes, I think that we should be expecting more from the players. As fan's we're also realists and it's not hatred of the decision making coming from crap players being seen. It's that we're disappointed in what they're producing thinking they're capable of better and have proved it previously in order to have been bought as an Arsenal player. That's my view anyway. In terms of experience however I totally agree, everyone seems to agree that Wenger's youth policy has gone too far and he needs to find a balance more.

As for injuries, thats another worry for me. They're becoming too consistent and frequent, as well as 'setbacks' for me to still consider it "luck". I think there's something wrong somewhere inside that needs to be addressed.

James Lock
Youth Team

Posts : 18
Join date : 2012-02-19
Age : 34
Location : London

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Some Stuff What I Wrote - Page 2 Empty Re: Some Stuff What I Wrote

Post by Christopher Flanagan on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:30 pm

Chris Chan wrote:
Christopher Flanagan wrote:

I also think the injuries thing is significant. I know it's a 'typical arsenal excuse' but that doesn't mean it hasn't fairly significantly affected us. I don't have the data to hand but I wouldn't be surprised to discover that we have lost more key players to injuries for more months than our competitors. If anyone has that info, I'd be interested.


It has affected us without a doubt, but surely that just means either a) other teams have better squads with which to cope with their injuries or b) we have fewer 'key' players than other teams.

I would guess Utd actually have had a similar injury list to ours over the years. When Valencia broke his leg, Nani stepped up, when Ferdinand got injured, Evans helped set a new consecutive clean sheet record, Vidic has been out most of the season and Jones/Smalling have done OK, they lost Hargreaves after he was a huge factor in them winning league and CL double and Utd still won the league.



No, I think you misunderstand what I was getting at. What I mean is that we have, empirically speaking, had more of these injuries. It's not losing the odd player, it's losing swathes of them. It's not losing Gibbs, which you can legislate for, it's losing Santos, Jenkinson, Vermaelen, Coquelin and the next 57 in line. Yes, of course every club has to deal with losing players to injury and has to have the squad to cope with that. But my suspicion is that we have had to cope with more than our rivals.
Christopher Flanagan
Christopher Flanagan
Admin

Posts : 254
Join date : 2012-01-07
Age : 34

View user profile http://arsenal.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Some Stuff What I Wrote - Page 2 Empty Re: Some Stuff What I Wrote

Post by Wesley Wang on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:29 pm

As others have already mentioned: great read, I would expect no less from you Chris. Would love to see more articles like this.
Wesley Wang
Wesley Wang
Youth Team

Posts : 35
Join date : 2012-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Some Stuff What I Wrote - Page 2 Empty Re: Some Stuff What I Wrote

Post by Michael Foster on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:57 am

I was saying about the same point Chris in this an another post....

I have never in all my time as not only a arsenal fan but a football fan in general seen so many injuries hit one team in so many seasons..
I argued the fact because we have had for the last few seasons a team that has not been depleted on numbers but depleted in quality department of players...we have been since the henry golden years lost players every season...
Now this said taking it into account I belive and call it crazy if you will that as our numbers of quality has dwindled over the years our game has gone from a free flow and fear factoring presence to an over worked and opponent fearless
This said our players are not able to rely on opposition walking on to the pitch thinking
'Here comes a spanking' or 'how do we cope with this today' factors like this help in a way our effort to take charge of a game and effectively run and work less...
Also the fact this impact of quality is causing our boys to put themselves in more a harms way...having to work harder to get hold of the ball or work with it due to a lack of quality or just thinking those extra steps ahead....
I could go on forever with this point but I hope you all get the idea...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

Posts : 4525
Join date : 2012-01-07
Age : 38
Location : the back and beyond..aka..Norwich

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Some Stuff What I Wrote - Page 2 Empty Re: Some Stuff What I Wrote

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum