Wenger - Yay or Nay?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wenger - Yay or Nay?

Wenger - Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Vote_lcap59%Wenger - Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 59% 
[ 20 ]
Wenger - Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Vote_lcap41%Wenger - Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 41% 
[ 14 ]

Total Votes : 34

Wenger - Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Empty Re: Wenger - Yay or Nay?

Post by Michael Foster on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:35 am

Van Roy Bostanian wrote:
John Foxall wrote:
Jonathan Prendergast wrote:
Chris Chan wrote:the club has not progressed over the past couple of years. we are fairly stagnant at the moment, not as bad as some make out, but in terms of arsenal football club, it isnt good enough. i just don't see wenger as the man to get us out of this rut. as hard as it is to say, the club has to move on

what is good enough?

Better than this?

If football clubs were scared of change, nothing would ever happen. Is Wenger really going to creep slowly towards 20 years in charge with the second half of his reign getting less and less convincing?

I understand the argument that the board is not helping, but I think that's avoiding the elephant in the room - the tactically-stale performances on the pitch, the inability of the group to mature and become more than the sum of its parts, the inability to produce consistently (especially when it counts most), and the inability to convince players that they want to commit themselves to Arsenal because they think they can win things here.

16 years is a long time. He's done a magnificent job overall. But all goods things come to an end. All the negative arguments about 'is there anyone could do any better?' are a bit silly. There are good young managers out there. We'd need to be careful about how we do it, but I do think we need a change.
Couldn't have said it better myself John.

Good points...just wanted to add this.

Chelsea have a so called young class manager....not really working out for him...and with the caliber of players they have...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:43 am

Michael Foster wrote:
ralph avedikian wrote:Blaming Wenger for big players leaving (cesc,nasri,flamini ....) is wrong.
For ANY club to retain his best players it should :

1- Win silverware
or
2-Pay high wages

Sinced we moved to the Emirates neither were/are possible. Well we could have won the Carling cup or even the Fa cup but that is not why big players will stay, I meant the PL or CL by 'silverware'.

You cannot blame a player for wanting to move on but you can blame a CLUB for not matching is so called ambitions which will cause players to leave...

I didn't blame a player for wanting to move on. I don't think you understood my point.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:04 am

ralph avedikian wrote:
Michael Foster wrote:
ralph avedikian wrote:Blaming Wenger for big players leaving (cesc,nasri,flamini ....) is wrong.
For ANY club to retain his best players it should :

1- Win silverware
or
2-Pay high wages

Sinced we moved to the Emirates neither were/are possible. Well we could have won the Carling cup or even the Fa cup but that is not why big players will stay, I meant the PL or CL by 'silverware'.

You cannot blame a player for wanting to move on but you can blame a CLUB for not matching is so called ambitions which will cause players to leave...

I didn't blame a player for wanting to move on. I don't think you understood my point.

I agree with you totally on that.....
I understand ya point fella....my reply was anybody cannot blame someone for moving on...
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Chan on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:03 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/19/arsene-wenger-arsenal-fourth-place

Arsène Wenger has suggested that Arsenal should regard the prospect of securing fourth place in the Premier League and entry into next season's Champions League qualifying round as comparable to winning a cup. "The first trophy is to finish in the top four," said Arsenal's manager in the wake of Saturday's 2-0 FA Cup fifth-round defeat at Sunderland. "And that's still possible. I believe finishing fourth is vital for us, so let's focus on that."

Barring a Champions League miracle in the second leg of a tie in which Milan lead 4-0, Wenger is contemplating a seventh consecutive season without a trophy. The Frenchman's critics believe he is in denial about Arsenal's current decline but on Saturday evening Wenger mounted a robust defence of a team which Roy Keane, working as an ITV pundit, said was the worst Arsenal side he had watched and one who are letting their manager down.

"That we lost here is basically down to the fact that we had to give a lot in Milan on Wednesday night and then we had to travel again, and that is difficult for any team in the world," Wenger said. "But I thought it was a good performance from us."

Arsenal's next game, at home to Tottenham on Sunday, has now assumed even greater importance than usual, but the manager is approaching it with confidence. "We put a lot of spirit into playing Sunderland and if we keep that spirit and recover a little bit physically then we can win the next game," he added.

Asked if Arsenal's squad requires rebuilding or tweaking during the summer, the manager indicated that evolution rather than revolution is his preferred option. "When everybody is available we have what it takes at the club and we will add what it takes," Wenger said. "But at the moment we're not making plans for next season, we're making plans for the next game.

"We have many missing: big, big players, too. We're in February and [Jack] Wilshere has played zero games, [Abou] Diaby has played zero games, [Per] Mertesacker is out for the season and [André] Santos for three months. That would be difficult for any club in the world to deal with. But let's win our next game and we'll be fine."

The sentiments were endorsed by Martin O'Neill. "Arsène Wenger is a very bright and intelligent man and his work bears the highest scrutiny," said Sunderland's manager. "It's been a disappointing week for him, that's all – we all have them. There's nothing wrong with him. There's no problem – he's a great, great manager."

Stuff like this just lacks ambition and shows how we have stagnated. When 'fourth is the first trophy', it isn't good enough

Chris Chan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Dawson on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:23 am

Wenger has long been a parody of himself. That comment is idiotic.

Anyway, I voted for nay. For reasons already stated in this thread by others and in other threads by me. Wenger was great in the first half of his spell here but in the second half it just gets worse and worse, more predictable, boring, the excuses are ridiculous. The club needs revitilasation. Someone with new, fresh ideas who could even bring in his own backroom staff.

Or, just get rid of Wenger in the summer and let Bould take over in an extended caretaker role for 3 months to see how he gets on. If he struggles, put him into a co-assistant manager role while a new fella comes in.

Alan Dawson
Youth Team

View user profile http://onthebeak.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jason.mandryk on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:07 am

"We have what it takes and we will add what it takes". Now he's contradicting himself.

"I thought it was a good performance from us." I must have been watching the wrong game. We were never more deservedly beaten this season.

"We put a lot of spirit into playing Sunderland". I suppose spirit is technically invisible, so that must have been why I didn't see it.

He described Diaby (and Santos) as big, big players.

If we get tonked by Spurs (and I shudder at the all too likely prospect), I think that will be the match when the minority become the majority.

jason.mandryk
jason.mandryk
Reserves

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:12 am

There is no way we can lose on Sunday...at home aswell...it will fuck us up....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravneet Singh on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:25 pm

[quote="Chris Chan"]http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/19/arsene-wenger-arsenal-fourth-place

"That we lost here is basically down to the fact that we had to give a lot in Milan on Wednesday night and then we had to travel again, and that is difficult for any team in the world," Wenger said. "But I thought it was a good performance from us."

We didn't gave anything in Milan.Frankly we didn't even give a shit.We were absolutely abysmal totally appalling.We were physically weak beyond belief.How the hell can you tired from that.This is just pure nonsense.Champion teams show no mercy they look upto matches like these to prove their mettle.This is weak stuff.

Ravneet Singh
Reserves

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nick t on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:27 pm

losing wenger would just add more misery to the club. the last thing these players want to see is wenger leave, which would make us worse. we all knew this was going to be a transition year, except wenger himself. i believe he has realized what this team has become, and I think he will learn his lesson for this summer. he will let some players go, and he will recruit 2-3 legit players. on the other hand, he will be saying that wilshere will be back, ryo will join the squad, and I expect ramsey to continue to grow and develop, so maybe he won't get what we fans expect. i can say don't expect hazard. still young, can't have a team rely on him like we did Fabregas, waste of 30 million if we are focused to contend for a title in the 2012-2013 season.

nick t
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:46 pm

anywhere you can find a link or something to yesterdays meeting with the supporters trust??
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:37 am

Michael Schatzky wrote:This is Wenger's squad , Wenger's tactics, and they are not good enough. Some things that have been beyond his control , namely Cesc and Nasri leaving. But choosing who and how to replace them with was his prerogative.
The culture at the club is wrong. 3 years ago .... 7 years ? With an almost entirely different squad from 4 years ago we display the same tendencies. That is not personnel, that is culture.
I think of the Spurs 4-4 comeback.
Wigan scoring 3 in the last 10 minutes 2 yrs ago,
same with Blackburn 1-2,
4-4 Newcastle,
2-3 WBA,
losing at home 2-3 Spurs in the last 5 minutes,
drawing Wigan 2-2 in the last 10 minutes.
Losing the CC final in the last 5 minutes.
What is "good enough"? Results we can be proud of ,win or lose.
If we no longer have the skill in the squad (did we ever really?) to play the system that Wenger wants to play, then we can have the fight and determination to grind out wins. We can play smarter. Adapt our tactics. Right now we do none of those things.
WE have a group of players who have been led to believe they are skilled enough to enact the "beautiful football" vision and they clearly are not .
That Wenger does not change this by changing tangible aspects of how the squad is trained, schooled, prepared and set out on gameday, is all on him.

For me this is a very, very important point, kudos for bringing it up. It's indicative. Cut through all the talk about money, ambition, players, etc. and you get to the issue of CULTURE. We've had a lot of player turnover over the years, yet the team plays the same. The tactics are tired and regressing. New players come in with a bang (Arshavin, Nasri, Rosicky, Walcott, etc.), are refreshingly different, and then fall into the 'Arsenal way' of not shooting, passing it back and forth, and capitulating mentally. WE turn them into the players they are. I don't buy the idea that the players we're buying aren't quality - some of them are. But we've seen them turned moulded into this. Lets see what happens with Gervinho and Ox.

So yes, culture is a big part of it. The Wenger culture is not a winning culture. The fact that he always, always, always talks about mental strength is telling. Who else talks about mental strength so much? Yet our team really doesn't have it. There is no winners culture. The tactics are stale. The players come in with a burst and then fit in with the rest. We've had some really excellent players or players with excellent potential, even in the last 5 or 6 years: Adebayor, Nasri, Gallas, Clichy, Diarra, Flamini, Arshavin, Rosicky, Hleb, etc. Most either stagnated or forced their way out of the club. I'm not saying it's entirely the manager's fault - he gets credit for bringing them in - but the culture of the club seems all wrong.

No new manager is risk free. Look at AVB at Chelsea: I wanted him to come to Arsenal, and now I'm glad he didn't. But you have to take risks to move forward. You need a new approach. You need a manager who can motivate players, who can bring in a system of play that works to the strengths of the players you have. You need a manager who will cut out the deadwood. It's well known that in any organization, things can get stale, and new thinking is required. I'd welcome Guardiola, because I think he is a man who has proven himself. He's done a lot with Barca. The club already had a good foundation, but he took floundering players and reinvigorated them. He promoted kids who did well. And he bought astutely. I would be very wary of a Mourinho, because he tends to spend a lot of money, bring immediate short-term success, and move on leaving the club in trouble. He'd be excellent for Man City, because they can take it, but we can't.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ralph avedikian on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:44 am

''And he bought astutely''

Etoo + 40m for Ibra isn't astute.
Chygirinski for 25m.

Guardiola DOES spend money, not as much as mourinho but he does spend quite a lot.

ralph avedikian
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaid Derweesh on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:51 pm

ralph avedikian wrote:''And he bought astutely''

Etoo + 40m for Ibra isn't astute.
Chygirinski for 25m.

Guardiola DOES spend money, not as much as mourinho but he does spend quite a lot.

Good point, those were both pretty insane signings. I'll point to Cesc and Alexis Sanchez, both good players, but then again they're far behind Real this season so maybe not.

I suppose it is one area he'd need to do better in, and maybe take more responsibility for. In La Liga he's got technical directors and what not choosing the players, at Arsenal he'd need to do it himself.

That aside, I still think he'd be a fine replacement.

Zaid Derweesh
Matchday Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by James Lock on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:00 am

Personally, it's all down to tactics... of course the game has evolved since his arrival, however if you watch a game from the invincibles season compared to now you'll notice LOTS of differences - and I'm not just talking about the obvious formation changes:

- Defensive line: Now playing higher up in order to 'squeeze possession' forwards and support the team when in possession. However as shown on numerous occasions, leaves us scarily unguarded to a) the counter and b) more importantly, the ball over the top.

- Midfield: Obviously more narrow, but the lack of support when we lose the ball and energy to get back/track is scary. Compare to Barca who work fantastically hard to win the ball back direct or a Jose Mourinho side who believe that they 'rest when in possession' or a lesser team such as Stoke who rapidly get the two banks of four up to defend. Shows almost a naivete and arrogance for me.

- Attack: Obviously the system comes into play, but compare the fluency and overlapping movement of Freddie/Robert/Thierry with Dennis in behind, to today.... to me it's like playing musical statues at the moment. There isn't much movement, partly due to factors considered later.

- Defending: Recently past and present players have come out and confirmed that the policy of the manager is to focus on possession, and as a result, defensive training does not occur. For me, again this suggests an overconfidence and naivete in the players and a belief that ultimately the most technically gifted side will always overcome - which we have seen countless times is not the case.

- Tempo: Consider the time taken on the ball per player now compared with the slick one/two touch football of before. Also compare with the other more successful sides... all move the ball quickly to expose gaps in the defence which then creates goalscoring opportunities. The slow build up play and passing style allows for defences to recover and react to situations.

- Passing areas: Compare the fast, counter attacks and swift moves to that now. I wonder whether 'that goal' Thierry scored vs Spurs where he ran most of the pitch with the ball would happen now? Irrelevant of whether we have a player capable, would it be 'allowed' as part of the tactics/orders given out?

That for me is where the problem lies. People will no doubt question whether I'm living in the past and in dreamland - expecting EVERY performance to be like the invincibles. I'm not at all naive, I just think that successful teams play the same 'sort' of football, and we have to rediscover that success again - with or without the same man at the helm.

James Lock
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Foster on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:06 am

James Lock wrote:Personally, it's all down to tactics... of course the game has evolved since his arrival, however if you watch a game from the invincibles season compared to now you'll notice LOTS of differences - and I'm not just talking about the obvious formation changes:

- Defensive line: Now playing higher up in order to 'squeeze possession' forwards and support the team when in possession. However as shown on numerous occasions, leaves us scarily unguarded to a) the counter and b) more importantly, the ball over the top.

- Midfield: Obviously more narrow, but the lack of support when we lose the ball and energy to get back/track is scary. Compare to Barca who work fantastically hard to win the ball back direct or a Jose Mourinho side who believe that they 'rest when in possession' or a lesser team such as Stoke who rapidly get the two banks of four up to defend. Shows almost a naivete and arrogance for me.

- Attack: Obviously the system comes into play, but compare the fluency and overlapping movement of Freddie/Robert/Thierry with Dennis in behind, to today.... to me it's like playing musical statues at the moment. There isn't much movement, partly due to factors considered later.

- Defending: Recently past and present players have come out and confirmed that the policy of the manager is to focus on possession, and as a result, defensive training does not occur. For me, again this suggests an overconfidence and naivete in the players and a belief that ultimately the most technically gifted side will always overcome - which we have seen countless times is not the case.

- Tempo: Consider the time taken on the ball per player now compared with the slick one/two touch football of before. Also compare with the other more successful sides... all move the ball quickly to expose gaps in the defence which then creates goalscoring opportunities. The slow build up play and passing style allows for defences to recover and react to situations.

- Passing areas: Compare the fast, counter attacks and swift moves to that now. I wonder whether 'that goal' Thierry scored vs Spurs where he ran most of the pitch with the ball would happen now? Irrelevant of whether we have a player capable, would it be 'allowed' as part of the tactics/orders given out?

That for me is where the problem lies. People will no doubt question whether I'm living in the past and in dreamland - expecting EVERY performance to be like the invincibles. I'm not at all naive, I just think that successful teams play the same 'sort' of football, and we have to rediscover that success again - with or without the same man at the helm.

One thing is that we don't have players of either that caliber or ability anymore nor can you build the team with the same tactics as I belive the players from yesteryear play nothing like the players from yesterday...

One thing where I think Wenger has fucked up he seams so hell bent on playing as we used do but has no plan b...
This season is a write off as far as I am conserned...drag us into the top 4 to get the euro place then spend all the closed season working on a new way to play with what we have hopefully tweaking it to hopefully what we buy....
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by James Lock on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:20 am

Michael Foster wrote:
James Lock wrote:Personally, it's all down to tactics... of course the game has evolved since his arrival, however if you watch a game from the invincibles season compared to now you'll notice LOTS of differences - and I'm not just talking about the obvious formation changes:

One thing is that we don't have players of either that caliber or ability anymore nor can you build the team with the same tactics as I belive the players from yesteryear play nothing like the players from yesterday...

One thing where I think Wenger has fucked up he seams so hell bent on playing as we used do but has no plan b...
This season is a write off as far as I am conserned...drag us into the top 4 to get the euro place then spend all the closed season working on a new way to play with what we have hopefully tweaking it to hopefully what we buy....

Personally I don't think the players have been given the opportunity to play in the same manner as from a few years ago. I personally see players play a more direct style for their country, and for their teams prior to us they have looked immense (Arshavin, Walcott, Ramsey -arguably) compared to when they play for us. It's their performances previously that get them looked at and signed for, otherwise they'd probably be with me at Dagenham (poor sods!!). While I totally agree Arshavin is no Pires and never will be, and Theo is no TH14 etc etc etc. Look at how much more of a danger Walcott can be when asked to play for England from a bit deeper and actually go at players one on one... his success rate may be lower than TH14s, but it's a LOT more successful than when he's playing in crowded, compact spaces because our build up play is so slow nowadays.

James Lock
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Flanagan on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:34 pm

The thing that annoys me more than anything on a tactical and emotional level is that I quite often see our players, both in and out of possession, just standing around waiting for things to happen. It makes me bloody livid.
Christopher Flanagan
Christopher Flanagan
Admin

View user profile http://arsenal.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by James Lock on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:13 pm

Christopher Flanagan wrote:The thing that annoys me more than anything on a tactical and emotional level is that I quite often see our players, both in and out of possession, just standing around waiting for things to happen. It makes me bloody livid.

Totally agree, because of that there's a perception that's all they're capable of and they're not good enough for Arsenal. However the most striking examples are recently:
- Cesc as an Arsenal player: you'd have thought if the lad dared make a tackle his legs would snap off... after moving to Barca (at least for the initial games) the work rate he did when they didnt have the ball was amazing!!
- Ramsey: most games he plays for Wales he dominates the game, box to box, spreading the play and linking attack with defence. Yet for Arsenal that movement just isnt there.

I'm sure people can think of a few more, but for me it's significance is simply that our players are TOLD not to do those things, for whatever reason. Which leads me back to the question over whether our problems are due to the management or the playing staff...

James Lock
Youth Team

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum